Ford Taurus The long running mid sized sedan offering sure footed front wheel drive and a roomy interior.

2000 taurus starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 10:13 PM
Default 2000 taurus starting problem

when its hot out my taurus wont start til i press the accelerator. after that it starts and runs fine. i can hear the fuel pump cycle. i tried cycling it 4 times before starting but it made no difference. if i restart it after its been running it starts fine. engine light is on but i havent had it read yet. can anyone help?

Old 05-14-2011, 05:10 PM

Sometimes you have to do first things first. In this case I would suggest the first thing would be to get the code . It might save you a lot of time and trouble. Just remember the code usually will tell you what system is causing the problem and not always what part is malfunctioning. Many Auto supply stores are now providing free code reading service in the hope you will purchase the needed part(s) there. I have heard Autozone is one of those stores.

Old 05-15-2011, 02:44 PM

I am definitely going to do that. i was told it might be the coolant temperature sensor. Maybe the code reading will coincide with that hopefully. thank you

Old 05-15-2011, 04:10 PM

In the event you get a code ,try to write it down so you can forward it to this forum if you require further assistance. Let us know how you make out. Thanks

Old 05-16-2011, 04:00 PM
Default engine code

I had the code checked today. p0302 cylinder 2 misfire is what it says

Old 05-16-2011, 06:04 PM

Before suggesting any remedies, what kind of maintenance has been done to the vehicle lately?

Old 05-16-2011, 08:29 PM

honestly not sure. only had it a couple months. doubtfully much in the way of maintenence. the guy i bought it off of only drove it 3,000 miles since february when he bought it. he moved to arizona and had to unload it. it only has 50,100 miles so chances are the plugs and wires are possibly original.

Old 05-20-2011, 01:37 AM

It would be helpful if you could tell us what engine is in the vehicle.
The eighth digit of the Vehicle ID # will help if you don't know which engine it has.
A good starting point would be to change the fuel filter, check the air cleaner filter,and maybe a new set of spark plugs. I can't suggest plug wires since I don't know which engine it has. Some used coil on plug systems.

Old 05-20-2011, 07:23 AM
Default taurus starting problems

It definitely does not have coil on plugs. I think this weekend i am going to change all that you mentioned including wires, Provided i can access the rear plugs as they look buried. we'll see

Old 05-20-2011, 07:33 AM

If you don't have access to compressed air to blow the junk out of the spark plug holes just use a rubber ball type blower ( don't laugh enema ball ) . It works great to blow out the crap---whoa! Just loosen the plug 1/2 turn and blow the stuff out. It makes for a better job since you keep the junk from going into the cylinder. Gotta go! Well, not really.

Quick Reply: 2000 taurus starting problem