Ford Taurus The long running mid sized sedan offering sure footed front wheel drive and a roomy interior.

97 Taurus P0340 Code - help

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 08:00 PM
Default 97 Taurus P0340 Code - help

Hello
I bought a 1997 Taurus (Vulcan engine) with 93,000 KM (58000 miles) I have had the car for only a month and just this week my check engine light came on I didnt know what it was and disconnecting the battery would not make it go away
So i just took it to a local shop and a new friend of mine scanned it and said it was "p0340 camshaft" ...
He is going to look into it to see what it will cost to make that light go away but my question is what do you think could be the most common problem? could it just be the sensor? I located the sensor using my Haynes book and it does not look that complex to remove and change.... but if its anything else im left to the mercy of the shop....
Is the Sensor going a common problem or could it be a worse diagnosis?
The car has been running fine. When the light first came on I changed my sparkplugs and wires as they had never been done and I thought why not. The car idled fine before and it seems to idle even better with the new plugs and wires....
when at a stop light it idles at about 700-900 and shifts smooth ect....
So what do you guys think?
Thanks!!

Old 03-17-2008, 08:20 PM
Default RE: 97 Taurus P0340 Code - help

After reading some other posts of this problem I do recall hearing a chirping noise .....I thought maybe it was a Belt or something.....
but from what I understand maybe the Synchronizer took out the sensor....so replacing the sensor would simply break agian......

I might be totaly off here but Im just trying to learn....
If the synchronizer needs to be replaced what does that run in cost for parts and laborand how the heck do you tell its toast?

Old 03-18-2008, 01:08 AM

gskills....Know someone that had the same issue with the p0340 code. Replacing the sensor didn't fix it. Further pursuit and it ended up being the alternator, I think a bad diode. You might look at your alternator.

Old 03-18-2008, 05:16 PM

Most of the time a P0340 is the sensor; many many times the magnet in the sensor falls out and can damage the synchronizer. Also the synchro can squeak just from wear/lack of lubrication. Replacing the synchro requires a special tool and procedure, it can be done without the tool if one knows how to do it that way. If it is off even one tooth, the engine will run poorly.

Old 03-18-2008, 06:52 PM

So i talked to a ford dealer and aparently there was a Service memo for the taurus

he said that if you replace the sensor you should also replace the sync.....

the total cost 658 canadian !
sensor 76 bucks
sync is 221.00
plus labor and tax ect..

Canadian tire said about 500 but they had to get the Sync from ford as they didnt carry it.....
I think the Price of the sync is is what is killing me at $220.00

So I then called Lordco and they said that they dont stock that part and it would take 6 weeks to get it and it was about 150.00

Next I called NAPA and they had it in stock for 97 bucks!.....and the guy thinks it might even come with the sensor but he cant tell they have it in stock but I dont want to do anything until the local shop gives me a phone call....... I asked if it was made by Dynamio as i hear that one is crap and the napa person said that the one they had was made by Napa...

Old 03-21-2008, 07:39 PM

My 97 Vulcan also ate the cam sensor, but the reluctor (the part that is turned by the camshaft) was unharmed!! I guess this is pretty rare, but take a look at yours before you purchase a new one.

One other item....The Carquest sensor has the magnet anchored a lot better than the original item did. It cost a bit more than the off brand sensors, but I think it's worth it. I don't remember what I paid for it though.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 03-21-2008, 10:01 PM

thanks for the reply..

the top of the shaft under the sensor was toast...the sensor must have fell out and then destroyed the rest...
but I got it all replaced as NAPA had the whole bundle for 97 dollars
the car runs great now and that chirping i heard is now gone!