Ford Tempo/Probe These small cars offered a sporty feel and affordable price.

91 Probe Trans flares on 2 to 3 shift

Old 02-25-2019, 11:21 PM
Default 91 Probe Trans flares on 2 to 3 shift

Wife's 91 Probe was shifting fine and not slipping with 138k, but then the front seal started leaking faster than you could pour in fluid. Hauled it to a local transmission shop. It was 1k to R&R for seal or 2.3k for complete walk trough. Elected to rebuild due to 28 years and 138k miles - figured fresh fluid would wash the trash out and we would end up rebuilding anyway. They did rebuild and a valve body mod which was supposed to be required. On the way home from the shop the tranny would flare at the 2 to 3 shift. My wife states the engine would rev up and she lets off, then the trans is in 3rd. I drove it a couple times and had same result. Returned to shop they did more valve body work etc... But there is still a flare at 2 to 3 shift. I think it is a bad sprag. Has anyone else experienced this issue after a rebuild with valve body mod - if so what was your issue?

Old 02-28-2019, 01:49 PM

There are what we call accumulators in an auto trans that cushion upshifts. It sounds like either one of the clutch seals may not be sealing correctly or a possible problem with the 2-3 accumulator system. They might have missed something in the valve body also.

Old 02-28-2019, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
There are what we call accumulators in an auto trans that cushion upshifts. It sounds like either one of the clutch seals may not be sealing correctly or a possible problem with the 2-3 accumulator system. They might have missed something in the valve body also.
Thank You for the information. The flare during the shift gives me concern about it causing excessive wear in a clutch pack - is that a valid concern? BTW I have been told this is a this is a 2_ Pan ECAT transmission (hope I got that right).

Old 03-01-2019, 07:08 AM

I believe you have a valid concern, here is why.
Usually when a clutch is applied there is minimal slippage because slippage produces heat and heat is a transmissions worst enemy.
When the engine flares and the vehicle is not directly responding that means the clutch pack is generating excess heat and damage can result to the fiber discs in the clutch pack. This problem should be corrected before the particles and heat get circulated throughout the trans and cause addl problems.

Old 04-09-2019, 08:19 PM

Just thought I would provide an update. Mr. Probe (as my wife calls it) went back to the tranny builder and it had been there for about 4 weeks. During that 4 weeks they managed to find a new valve body and installed it. After that they drove the car a good bit and only noticed one flare. The suspension is this was due to a hard turn and fluid shifting in the pan causing air to be picked up in the filter. A bit more fluid was added and they did not see anymore flares. I can actually buy into this theory as I have a car that came wit a filter where the pick up was on top of the filter, I would occasionally have a flare - a hack for my car is to use a different filter with the pick up on the bottom - no more problems after that.

We got "Mr. Probe" back yesterday (4/8) and need to drive it around a good bit to test.

Then today my wife drove "Mr. Probe" to the bank and it got hit. Not that much damage, mostly paint removed from the panel which wraps around under the taillight on the left side. Does not appear to have stressed any metal, just the paint that was removed by the right front bumper of an F-150 (2000). I hope we don't have much of a fight with the insurance co (other drivers ins) as I know the book value of these cars is not very high - I can just imagine them wanting to total the car for a $500.00 paint repair.

I post updates as we get the chance to test the tranny.