Ford Thunderbird Starting in the 1950s, this was a classic American sports cars, from the compact original of the 1950s, to the muscular hard top coupes of the 1980s and 1990s to the retro look of the 2003 model year, this car is, and always will be, an American classic.

New Guy here...

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 08:11 PM
Default New Guy here...

Hi Folks,
New first time poster here... I recently acquired a 1963 Thunderbird. It's an eight owner, five state survivor and it still runs. It needs a lot of TLC and eventually a full restoration. For now I'm just trying to get it safe and road worthy. I'd be really intertested in hearing from anyone else with one of these old Bullet Nose Birds.

I graduated from high school in 1963 and went into the Air Force. So, I'm coming up on the 50 year aniversary of those events and I want to be able to drive the bird a bit before we take it apart for the restoration. I need time to collect parts and materials. I need to know abouit any and all sources of new and used parts.Name:  BirdGoingIn.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  107.6 KB

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Later Folks

Dave

Old 10-24-2012, 08:39 PM

beautiful car ! my brother had 1 of those but his was white ! welcome to this site !

Old 10-24-2012, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by bandit1948
beautiful car ! my brother had 1 of those but his was white ! welcome to this site !
Thanks, but in all fairness it looks a lot better in the picture than it really is. It's a pretty bad re-paint job but it probably did preserve it. It needs a lot of TLC.

Old 10-25-2012, 10:04 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome aboard Dave..

Nice old Bird!

There's quite a few parts vendors out there,, Concours Parts etc. and with my 69 T/A and my 77SE Pontiacs I've found that a lot of the reproduced parts come from the same suppliers/manufactures. Some will have items discounted less than others, and higher on another part they offer, so shopping 'all' the part options can save some coin..

I almost ended up with a 59,, was white with red interior and a decent running car.. Pretty rough though,, but at the time just didn't have a place to keep it..

Please post some othe pics if you have them,, interior, engine, we (ok I love old Ford iron Looking forward to watching the work on your Bird.

Old 10-25-2012, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator
Thumbs up

Interest build on the 800 BTW..

Old 10-25-2012, 11:42 AM

look here:
Vintage Thunderbird Club International

and get a copy of Hemming's Motor News. It's a great source for any classic.

Old 10-28-2012, 11:22 AM
Default THanks for the replies...

Hi Again,
Sorry I haven't gotten back to you folks... I have been sort of busy for the past week or so. Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

I just posted a new guy thread in the way of introducing myself to the board as I also have other Ford projects going on.

See: https://www.fordforum.com/forum/new-...389/#post75722

I am entertaining the idea of dropping a 460 from a a '77 LTD in the '63 Bird. It's cheap and runs good. Does anyone know what kind of problems I'll encounter in bolting it up to the tranny or the engine mounts???

Later Folks,

Dave
www.daveboley.info

Old 10-28-2012, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Hayapower
Welcome aboard Dave..

Nice old Bird!

There's quite a few parts vendors out there,, Concours Parts etc. and with my 69 T/A and my 77SE Pontiacs I've found that a lot of the reproduced parts come from the same suppliers/manufactures. Some will have items discounted less than others, and higher on another part they offer, so shopping 'all' the part options can save some coin..

I almost ended up with a 59,, was white with red interior and a decent running car.. Pretty rough though,, but at the time just didn't have a place to keep it..

Please post some othe pics if you have them,, interior, engine, we (ok I love old Ford iron Looking forward to watching the work on your Bird.
Here is a link to a slideshow of the Bird.

Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket

Here are more pics in the shop with engine washed and carb work.

Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket

Old 10-28-2012, 11:09 PM
Super Moderator

Looks pretty nice! and complete..

Is that your G/500 next to the bird? Looks like your pretty busy

Old 10-29-2012, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by Hayapower
Looks pretty nice! and complete..

Is that your G/500 next to the bird? Looks like your pretty busy

No, that belonged to the guy I bought the Bird from.

I have owned two '67 G-500s in the past, one new and another ten years later.