General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1949 Ford Custom Brake Lights Not working!!

Old 11-29-2013, 02:18 PM
Question 1949 Ford Custom Brake Lights Not working!!

I have replaced the Brake Light switch and I have replaced all the fuses that I can find. I have running lights, turn signals, headlights... but I do not have a lic. plate light or brake lights...

I have traced the wires all over the car and I am having trouble trying to figure out where this thing is taking a turn for terrible.

I'm in Seattle WA.. Any sugestions on a shop that would trace and repair the wiring problem for an affordable price?? I am having a hell of a time.

Old 11-29-2013, 04:55 PM

Did you check for good ground wire connection.

Old 11-30-2013, 09:14 AM

It has been known to happen,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
you may appear to have rear signal lights operating when what is happening is ,the ground for the rear signal lights are using the parking light circuit for their ground.
That can throw you for a curve if you don't look very closely to which part of the double element bulb is blinking. A ground that is poor or absent will do this.

Old 11-30-2013, 10:58 AM

So I have no power from the brake light switch both wires are dead.

One of the 2 wires goes to the blinker switch

And the other goes into the main loom..

Does anyone know where this wire get routed to from the brake light switch?

Jon

Old 11-30-2013, 01:48 PM

Temporarily run a hot lead to the stoplite switch and confirm everything is OK from the switch on down.
You have possibly more than one problem. Cannot see the reason for no lic plate lite other than bulb, wire from tail lights or just no ground for the plate lite providing the tail lights are working as stated.

Old 12-01-2013, 11:19 AM
Question

Looking at the wiring it looks like the wires to the lic. plate are disconnected. never re hooked up after paint.

I'm noticing that none of the bulbs work and almost no dash electrical is working as it should. with the exception of the temp and oil pressure, lights and blinkers everything else has no lights or indicators etc.

I'm thinking that it should just be rewired back to original. any suggestions on a complete wiring kit?

Old 12-01-2013, 05:01 PM

Before going off the deep end, consider doing a little detective work.
Did you get a chance to check the bulbs in the dash that do not seem to be working?
It would be a shame to replace wiring that may be good only to find that the bulbs were burned out. Just take a test light and trace from the headlight switch .I believe the switch stick was rotated to turn the dash lights up to bright or dim. There is nothing that complicated with the dash lights except they usually has a pretty small fuse like 5 amp rating. Should be able to assist you if you want to get started troubleshooting.

Old 12-01-2013, 08:41 PM

What I will do is post a few pics of the wiring next time im over at my parents place. where she is stored in eastern wash.

i was using the multi meter and trying to find current and got the heater blower up and going by tracing wires and taping up the 30 exposed parts.

honestly the wiring is original to 1949.

Old 12-02-2013, 04:04 AM

Don't remember if they used a fabric covering for the wiring or some other material, but we should be able to get things working. Then you can replace what needs to be replaced . What are your thoughts on that?

Old 12-02-2013, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by hanky
Don't remember if they used a fabric covering for the wiring or some other material, but we should be able to get things working. Then you can replace what needs to be replaced . What are your thoughts on that?
YES!
alright I'm gonna get a inline fuse and run power from the negative side of the battery to one side of the brake light switch.

Hopefully this works and I'll get it back to Seattle and in my warm garage to start wiring her up!

I will keep you posted!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1949 Ford Custom Brake Lights Not working!!