General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2004 Ford Explorer XLS Rear speakers not working

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 05:28 PM
Default 2004 Ford Explorer XLS Rear speakers not working

I apologize if this is the wrong section. I am using a mobile phone as well. My rear speakers both stopped working. I have an aftermarket radio with correct harness and it was working fine for 2 years.

I took the panels out of both back doors and wiring looks fine to me. I inspected radio head as well pulled it our wires all look fine.

I also took my driver speaker out (this one works) and swapped it to the back passenger door and still no sound.

I am at a loss as to what this is and all my google search queries led me nowhere. Is there a fuse i am missing? What could this be?

Old 02-28-2018, 05:55 PM

My first thought would be a broken wire between the radio unit and the rear speaker wires. If you can verify that those wires are good (some use only 3 wires a common and one for each particular speaker) If that is the case, then it could be the wire that is common to both speakers. I know it can be a bit of trouble, but if you copy the color of the rear speaker wires then go up to the front and try tapping into those wires with a good speaker , depending on the result you get would determine if the problem is further back toward the rear or if no positive result you may need to go right to the radio itself to determine if the signals are coming out of the radio. It sounds like a lot of trouble , but is worth the trouble if you can solve the problem.

Old 02-28-2018, 05:59 PM

If I pull out the aftermarket radio it looks as if all wires are connected into an adapter harness if i am not mistaken.
Is that where I would look for those wires? Or are we talking about taking panel off and inspecting wiring there? I am a bit confused but I think that what you meant?

Also if it is wiring. Where would I even begin in the car to rewire? From head unit to driver door to back passenger door? I have no idea. But thanks

... Ok I think you meant start from rear speaker and work up the front. Where does the wiring trace along in the car.

Also if it is a bad rear speaker would that cause both rears to not work regardless if there is still a good one connected back there?

Last edited by vauf310; 02-28-2018 at 06:01 PM.
Old 02-28-2018, 06:19 PM

First if it is the common wire it could affect both speakers.
Some wires go under the floor mat trim and some go through the roof pillars . I would not be worried about doing any rewiring until you verify that is the problem and then you will need to trace the wires and see which path they take. It might pay to give a little thought to where the wires enter and divide to get to the individual doors. Once you determine if that is the problem, you can run a wire under the mats and it will do the same thing. You need to be sure before contemplating any repairs. Making sure the signals are getting to the wires from the radio is what has to be verified.