General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2007 taurus sel CEl code P0443

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 05:55 PM
Default 2007 taurus sel CEl code P0443

Hi, my CEL came on and I went and had it checked. The code P0443 came up and the guy said it was the evaporative emmission system purge and vent solenoid circuit condition. I was wondering what that means and is there anything I can check to see if it can be definately one of the parts that showed up that it may need. The total at Auto zone for the parts was 240.00 and i don't want to replace parts that don't need replacing. Thanks for any info that you may be able to give me. I am not even sure where to look for the parts under the hood. Again thanks in advance.

Old 05-14-2013, 07:52 PM

It means the vent valve has a problem. The vent valve is under the car, attached to the underside of the trunk on a nice neat little tray. There are 2 wires that go into it (with a very handy connector that's right there, too!).
One wire is something like red with a tracer, and should have battery power whenever the key is on, eng. running or not.
The other is the trickster. It is the return wire back to the PCM, and the PCM is not detecting any return voltage on this wire, which is where the code comes from.
You can check the continuity of the vent valve, and if there is none, replace it. This can be determined easily by backprobing the other wire that isn't the power, and seeing if there is voltage there. If so, it's good.
The real problem here is that wire runs all the way back to the front of the car, through a few connectors, and hopefully it isn't damgaged. If it is, you could overlay the circut and there you go.
Look for an obvious damage to the connector at the valve; they have a long history of getting corroded with salt and rusting out. Check that first. Let us know!

Old 05-16-2013, 09:23 AM

Ok, I took the plug apart and it was corroded pretty bad. It wasn't rusted out though so I cleaned it with WD 40 and put it back together. I unhooked battery to reset and clear the light. I drove 20 miles to work and it didn't come back on. Will be going 200 miles to home tonight and will let you all know what happens. Thanks