General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2017 Expedition steering problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 04:26 PM
Default 2017 Expedition steering problems

Any ideas?? My 2017 expedition EL limited with 31k has been having intermittent steering problems for the last 2 months. It started when I picked it back up from the dealership after having different problems looked at, including a knocking in the front left that they couldn't diagnose. It will drift when I'm coming out of a curve or turn and then finally "catch" and jerk back to where the wheel is turned. It has happened more on the interstate during lane changes at speeds between 75-85. I'll change lanes but when I straighten my wheel to maintain the new lane the vehicle keeps going the direction I was changing (ex. left lane change, turn wheel back right but keeps going left). I'll turn the wheel more and when it finally catches it's overcorrected. It has also done it at speeds of 45-60 and also when turning at an intersection and pulling out of a neighborhood. My wheels have also locked when I parked with them turned hard and didn't break free until I moved about a foot. The dealership couldn't find anything wrong and said I need new tires and blamed it on the tires but I'm not believing it. I've had vehicles with all sorts of tires in varying conditions from 35 M/Ts brand new to showing steel on a focus and have never had an issue even remotely like this. Even the play in my '89 Bronco or '81 Chevy never compared to what this is doing. I'm taking it to another dealership as soon as they can get me in but wondering if anyone has any thoughts on it.

Old 03-02-2019, 07:38 PM

Personally, from what you describe your vehicle probably shouldn't be on the road until the problem with the steering system is found and corrected.

There is possibly a steering torque sensor that is not functioning correctly. I believe you are doing the right thing by having another dealership check it out.
If you would, when they correct the problem, please provide us with an update, Thank You.