General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Cold blooded tranny

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2019, 12:11 PM
Default Cold blooded tranny

Hi, I moved to a colder climate than I used to, and I noticed the tranny in my 2001 SEL will intermittently hickup at idle (in drive). If I stop the car and go shopping or something for 20 min or so and start it up, It will shudder some before calming down. This happens on the days it doesn't get warmer than 40 degrees F. The car doesn't do this when it's a bit warmer. But I notice no othe problems when at speed or getting there. Would a transmission service help.

THANKS IN ADVANCE GUYS!

Old 11-29-2019, 07:35 PM

Are we sure it is the trans and not a possible engine problem?

Old 11-30-2019, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
Are we sure it is the trans and not a possible engine problem?
Nope. solid as a rock till I put it in drive. The hitch is that sometimes it doesn't do it at all. Like today. Yesterday was a different story.

Old 11-30-2019, 05:35 PM

MJS,
Just trying to get as much info as possible.
When you say hiccup , could you describe as best you can,just what that might feel like and does it happen at the same speed ?
How many miles on your vehicle?
Do you know if or when the trans was serviced last?
Did you have a chance to check the fluid level?
How did it look and did it have any unusual odor?

Old 12-01-2019, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
MJS,
Just trying to get as much info as possible.
When you say hiccup , could you describe as best you can,just what that might feel like and does it happen at the same speed ?
How many miles on your vehicle?
Do you know if or when the trans was serviced last?
Did you have a chance to check the fluid level?
How did it look and did it have any unusual odor?

Thank you for responding
What I mean is that there is a noticeable bump. Reflected in the Tach. Sometimes once sometimes several in succession. Intermittent too. If I don't let the engine run, when turned of for a little while. It staggers. Never when I sit in park. Always in gear. Runs at speed fine no problems(yet). However the other day I was on an on ramp and the thing shuddered and wasn't accelerating when I was on the gas. That passed and it has not happened again. there are some times it does not do anything and all's fine.
156K miles
serviced at 70K. Level good. no smell. looks nice and red.
One note, It is cold here. Happens more often when below 40.
Thanks again!

Old 12-02-2019, 08:30 AM

I do not believe that to be a trans problem. If for some reason , from what you describe, there is a momentary loss of ignition , it could feel like a bump.
There is a possibility a code is in the vehicle's computer. Some faults will set a pending code , but if not happening frequently , will erase with enough clean performance.
Some codes require multiple times and will illuminate the check engine light. Since it is intermittent, , it can become a little more difficult to pin down.

Old 12-03-2019, 10:50 AM

Thank you. Was wondering if the computer would log something but not put the check light on. Funny it only happens in gear, I'll go by O'rilley and see what it says.

Thanks for the help!