General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

E350 Super Engine Cutting Out

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 08:01 AM
Default E350 Super Engine Cutting Out

2010 Ford E350 Super Freedom Elite Motor home will not run. Has 6,000 miles on, had warranty work to replace fuel mod at 4,000 miles, just had fuel pump replaced $, still cuts in and out?

Old 07-26-2018, 08:44 AM

Hi Dennis,
Could you provide some addl info like,
Engine size- gas/diesel
when the problem occurs, what speed , conditions like accelerating, coasting decelerating, cruising?

When did problem start , was any work done to the vehicle previous to the beginning of the problem?
What has been done to the vehicle so far

When you say cuts in /out , do you lose any/all electrical support or does it just falter mechanically? Have the places checking/working on it provided you with any code info from the vehicle's computer?
Since cutting out could include electrical and/or fuel , everything is up for grabs until the symptoms can be narrowed down a bit.

Old 07-26-2018, 03:33 PM
Default E350 Super Ford Freedom Elite Motorhome

Engine 6.8 - gas
We had the problem since purchasing the unit at 1600 miles in 2011, but is a sporadic issue. We did have some short trips that we did not have to call for assistance.
The problem of hesitation occurs when we are cruising down the highway, however sometimes after about an hour of driving if we turn it off, it will not start or it tries to stall out when slowing down or it will not idle after a longer run.
Fuel module was replaced under warranty (4,000 miles) at Keller Brother Ford in Buffalo Springs, that did not fix the problem. We had a diagnostic test done at Bambergers, Inc. (5700 miles) and the result was fuel pump. We finally had the fuel pump replaced and the pump wiring connections were bad so we had those replaced (6500 miles) by Martins Auto Repair. The problem still exists.
Does any of this information help you?
Thank you in advance for any input!

Old 07-26-2018, 05:09 PM

Thank you for the info provided.
There are so many questions and so many possibilities, but we'll take them one at a time and hopefully come up with something a little closer to the cause.
Usually , a dealership pump doesn't cause/have any problems if properly installed.
Evidently, something was not right with the job that connections became a problem, so they said ! Well , we can't make any money just repairing connections, so lets sell them a fuel pump.
If you keep doing the same thing to correct a problem and keep getting the same result, what does that tell you?
To attempt to diagnose over the internet is not really the best way to solve a problem.

We still do not really know if it is a fuel related problem, but from what you describe I do not believe it to be.
A good shop and dealers have that equipment to do this and that is to monitor what has taken place prior to the time the problem appears/appeared.
An experienced technician should be able to examine that info and at least get some idea what is not right or what is missing as far as correct info is concerned.
It would be foolish for me to suggest what could be the problem without doing some specific testing.
I would suggest that you through inquiring about a "good,capable shop" consider asking if they would check it out. It could be something as simple as a relay, the vehicle computer, or something that is affected by heat since it happens after driving a period of time. If you get another diagnosis stating ,fuel pump, I would RUN !!

Old 08-08-2018, 01:54 AM

Unfortunately, our local Ford dealer blamed our issue on an animal chewing wires - they said. That animal is quite aggressive. I'm sorry Ford can't do anything more for a vehicle with less than 7,000 miles on it!

Old 08-08-2018, 02:31 PM

If it is parts or workmanship probably might be covered. Animal crackers, I don't know ! I do know that little mice can raise havoc on wiring and am not sure if they eat the insulation or use for nesting, but those little buggers cause some unbelievable problems. They will build a nest in the intake and sometimes do it in one night and the vehicle won't start in the morning. Even if you were to feed them they still prefer the comfort of your camper. I am pretty sure if they smell the odor of a ferret they move on and won't stay around.