General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Electrical Troubleshooting

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2018, 12:51 PM
Default Electrical Troubleshooting

Hi,
I’m new to the forum and need some help please.
I have a 2007 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer EL, last week I lost all power when starting it up in the morning. I took it too the garage and they troubleshooted to identify the junction box was bad, they switched out the junction box in the passenger footwell. I was on vacation and had to use a mechanic I was unfamiliar with so when I got the truck back I didn’t think to check all of the functions. It drove fine and there were no electrical issues the day I picked it up.
However next day the interior lights once the engine is running flash like it’s in programming mode, the electric 3rd row seats don’t work, the tire pressure monitor sensor vault is on now and my indicators flash really fast when signaling to turn which in the past has meant a brake light or headlamp is out but they all work. I’ve pulled the 15amp fuse to stop the annoying flashing while driving and have tried the cartridge fuse for seats but can’t figure it out? Is there a way I can check the power distributor is getting power to the fuses because I’ve tried the electrical reader at the 3rd row seat switches in the back of the truck and can’t get a reading through the harness.
I hope this all makes sense and thanks in advance for reading through this and maybe helping me out with some general pointers.
James

Old 08-18-2018, 02:13 PM

Hi James,
I can't tell you exactly what is wrong , but from what you describe it does sound like a ground wire connection might have been left off and not connected.
This can happen to anybody if they might be rushed or interrupted . Is there any way you can look through the area where they worked and look for a possible ground wire dangling or just tucked out of the way .That type connection just gets bolted/screwed to the sheet metal of the vehicle.

There is also the possibility of ,,,where did they get the replacement junction box?