General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Heater Core Replacement and Advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 11:08 AM
Default Heater Core Replacement and Advice

so I have a 2010 F150 I took it to the Ford dealership knowing that my heater core needed to be replaced. After they diagnosed it they said that the heater core did need to be replaced but because of the brown sluggish stuff in the reservoir and on the bottom of the radiator cap that the radiator all the hoses and the gasket plus the heater core needed to be replaced and the engine flushed. I’ve read on multiple different fourms that the brown sluggish stuff comes from the colant that Ford uses. So my question is should I replace everything (which sounds like a bunch of bs to me as I do a lot of work on my own vehicle and just don’t have time to replace the heater core myself) or just the heater core because the truck was running fine before the heater core went out and I talk to another mechanic and he said that the heater core should be the only thing that needs to be replaced and the brown sluggish stuff is not something to worry about

Old 03-01-2019, 12:06 PM

Everybody has different opinions regarding handling the "brown stuff".
The dealership doesn't want any comebacks so they do the entire job.
Some others have gotten away with short cuts and that was the end of that.
We do not know at this time what the brown stuff really is. Is it a soupy mix from oil getting into the cooling system, is it something that took place from what might have been in the cooling system, we just don't know YET ! Depending on what it is from and how bad the accumulation is will have a bearing on how far you want to go.
Dirty cooling systems will have an effect on cooling efficiency , so you don't want that. On some models heater core replacement is no big deal while on others it can be real job.
It's your nickel, and if you want a quick job, I would just replace the core. If, however,there is another problem that gets ignored , not to worry, it will catch up to you later.
From doing your own work I'm sure you have come across the option of "Do it right and do it once" or, do it over later. What do you think, thanks.