General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Identify Ford Escape Engine is Original to car

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2016, 11:28 PM
Default Identify Ford Escape Engine is Original to car

Hi,

I am having quite an issue confirming the engine in my car is NOT the original engine. I am looking for concrete evidence of the partial last 8 VIN number stamped on engine block and can't seem to find it.

Ford Escape XLT 3.0L 6 2005

I have found the serial number for the engine on the engine cap plate and it matches my car. But that does not prove anything since the engine could have been replaced and original cap been bolted back on top.

Between the oil filter and bottom of manifold piece I found a number on the short block engine which is:

RE 4F1E6f095 AA

My Vin number provided me the information that the part ID of engine is:

4F1E6009 BA

Could what I see on my engine block be simply a casting ID which does not have to correspond exactly to the part ID that ford would lookup in database as original to car?

And where in the world is the last 8 digits of VIN number which my Owners Manual states should be on my engine block, transmission, and frame? I am interested in the location of this number on the engine block and transmission.

TIA

Old 02-22-2016, 10:39 AM

Hello Mark welcome on a forum.

Old 02-26-2016, 03:43 PM
Former Sponsor

If you send me your VIN number I would be happy to try finding your original engine number.

Old 02-29-2016, 10:23 AM

Welcome mate.

Old 03-20-2016, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by LakelandFordParts
If you send me your VIN number I would be happy to try finding your original engine number.
Hi,

I actually know the engine number (engine type and serial number) because it is on the engine cover as a sticker, it is correct. My Ford manual says the last 8 of VIN are stamped on the transmission, the frame, the engine. Some people believe the transmission and engine will have it on an aluminum tag either welded or bolted. And some say that it could even fall off. I tend to doubt that would be the case if car just had normal use and never any engine work.

I have yet to see any of this VIN number anywhere on the transmission or engine block. The transmission has the sticker as well (which is serial number of part), but again, I believe it is on the transmission cover.

Not one mechanic can say if engine is original or not. I mean nobody, they just tell me all is fine except I have broken connections on pipes and valves visible when I open the hood. Every engine cover is leaking oil from the top. The manifolds were determined stolen and when I asked why I had broken connections the answer was they had to remove the covers and take manifolds upwards.

It makes zero sense to me for someone to go through so much effort to steal 10 year old manifolds. So the lingering question I have is what was taken to make it worth their while? Not taken and left void, that would be easy to determine. Taken and replaced with bad part.

The car doesn't drive like it used to. But the engine is not ticking or smoking like I would expect a bad engine to. It's just a merry go round but I now have to get car through inspection and just going to replace all the gaskets on the engine covers and intake manifolds. Hope that stops all the leaks and also poor performance. I also am replacing the entire exhaust system except for the manifolds which were replaced by the first shop that discovered the issue. I believe all the yanking and tugging to the exhaust that was originally done, cracked more exhaust pipes and it is definitely leaking at the y-pipe connection.

I posted another reply before with 2 pictures and this forum said it had to be approved by a moderator. It showed the front motor mount to be shifted off center, maybe half an inch, and a lack of a bracket bolted to top of engine. I'm sure that lack of bracket is likely because the escape in 05 had 2 types of mounting brackets. I'm confused why they wouldn't at least plug the holes so water wouldn't get in them.

Also, if above is true... is it true that the front mounting support for the engine for some 05 escapes included only 4 threaded bolts with all the weight put onto the threads of the bolts? Hanging a motor essentially? If so, wow, a connection in shear is exponentially stronger then tension support of threads. This method of relying on the threads of a bolt is essentially how the hyatt catwalk failed in Kansas City.

Old 03-23-2016, 04:23 PM
Former Sponsor

Someone stole your exhaust manifolds? That is crazy! The part may have been obsolete which could entice someone to steal it... If I have the VIN off of the chassis, it is located under the windshield on the driver side and on the drivers door jamb, I can check the VIN and tell you what is supposed to be in the vehicle. At that time you would be able to see if the information matches up.

Old 08-17-2017, 10:27 AM
Default Engine Serial Number

I have a customer who needs the engine serial number on his 2015 Ford Escape with VIN of 1FMCU9GX4FUC75070...Any help would be great.