General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

lights on

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 10:39 AM
Default lights on

New member here. Joined to see if I could get advice. Recently purchased an '05 Crown Vic. Very nice LX. 160,500 k on it. ABS & Trac control lights were on at the time of purchase. Any advice on how to proceed, without going to a dealer, would help. I have been working on cars & trucks most of my life so I can get things done. Just looking for a starting point.

Old 07-07-2013, 03:00 PM

Sometimes,,,,,,,,, disconnecting the battery negative cable for at least 20 minutes may remove the lamp problem although in the newer vehicles you can no longer get the check engine light to go out even with a scan tool. The problem has to be found, corrected and the monitor run , then the PCM will put the light out. Can't get away without repairing it anymore!

Last edited by hanky; 08-16-2013 at 04:57 PM.
Old 08-16-2013, 04:06 PM
Default lights on

thank you for your reply tried that first. have been busy with work, grandkids, etc.. Today was able to get a scan done at an auto parts. Trouble code came up: c1266. This indicates ABS VALVE POWER RELAY CIRCUIT FAILURE. suggested fix was repairing the wiring. began going thru wire loom and connections. Nothing out of the ordinary. Sensors on all four wheels are clean and free of any rust. checked all fuses. Trac control light and park brake lite are also on. This is an '05 Crown Vic with 165k. Everything is very clean otherwise I wouldn't bother. advice?

Old 08-17-2013, 04:33 AM

Some thing you can try,

If you have the owner's manual it should show a diagram of the ABS relay location and it's function. You could check for power to the relay . There should be power to at least two of the terminals with the key in the on position with the relay removed.
Let us know what you find.

Old 08-17-2013, 07:30 AM

The relays in question are under the hood, either in the PDB next to the battery, or on the auxillary relay block attached to the vacuum resevior on the left top inner fender. I can't remember anymore.
The very best way to diag this is to get the abs wiring diagram, and check ALL the powers and grounds with something that takes some amperage to operate, like an old blower motor or wiper motor. See if the powers and ground are all good.
If they are, this is a ABS module concern; this was a common problem on this model. And the T/C light is on due to the ABS being inop