General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Need a Little help. 1040 Ford Custom

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 07:34 PM
Exclamation Need a Little help. 1040 Ford Custom

I have just replaced the speedometer and I have not been able to make the damn thing register.

the gear that is in the transmission is in perfect shape. and the cable didnt seem to be broken.

My idea is that the gauge is bad... But im not sure if that is something that would be likely to fail..

Any help would be awesome.

Thanks.

Old 03-04-2014, 03:56 PM

Someone has to have an idea? I'm not wanting to throw money at a gauge cluster rebuild, if it is not entirely necessary.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:03 AM

usually if the speedo doesn't work is because the cable that fits inside the gears isn't in it. it has to be in the slot or square hole in the center of the drive gear on both ends of the cable

Old 03-20-2014, 05:46 PM
Exclamation updates!

OKAY!
The speedo cable is inserted correctly into the back of the cluster and the speedo works if I spin it when I disconnect the housing up behind the cluster.

So now to re check out the tranny side.

Taking out the gear that spins on the tranny side it looks perfect in condition.

I put it back into the tranny and bolted it back up and it is still not working... Any ideas?

Old 03-21-2014, 05:20 AM

With the cable disconnected from the trans , the dial on the speedo should move when you spin the cable Does it? If so ,try it with the gear out of the trans and spin the gear. If everything is ok ,did it ever work before? Could have wrong gear on end of cable or drive gear in trans is loose and not turning. Retaining clip may have come out allowing output shaft to turn without turning the drive gear.

Old 03-21-2014, 03:53 PM

there is the possibility that the cable itself is too short inside the housing and not able to engage either one of those gears like it will engage one but the other if that's the case then I recomend replacing the cable with a new one that's longer in the housing. usually the gear that's in the trans. comes out with the cable using a clip on that end so when a person buys the cable there isn't a new gear on it and you have to reuse that gear

Old 03-24-2014, 09:56 AM

The gear that is on the end of the new cable, is the same gear that was connected to the original cable I removed.

The original cable I removed is the same length as the replacement.
Also the cable does not seem to be broken.

The gear was just sitting j. The transmission and when I took out the original speedo cable it came apart from the cable as if iw wasn't even connected. I didnt see a clip that would hold that gear on the cable.

So when I replaces the cable I put the gear in the cable is inserted it into the tranny. Then Just tightened everything up.

Maybe the speedo cable is just separated from the gear. But if not then I will have to see about a tranny rebuild correct?

Old 03-24-2014, 09:58 AM

Whoa. Sorry about the typing iPhone didn't help with the post. Damn autocorrect

Old 03-24-2014, 12:54 PM

okay here's what you do. when one end is loose usually on the transmission you need to make sure that the other end is engaged to the gear in the cluster and just slightly pull it back toward the trans. then install the gear on the loose end of the cable and then install the cable and gear as a unit into the trans. it should now work like it should