General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Shift Motor

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 10:57 AM
Default Shift Motor

I just went and picked up the truck and have it at home. Will start to try some things to see what it does and report back.

Cougar, here is what happened. Drove the truck all over town about 20 miles. Came home and parked it for 10 minutes. Backed out of driveway and it started to shift down at about 10 MPH. Could here the drive shaft clunking. Tried to drive it and it continued. Put it in 2nd gear and drove up to a shop where he said trans is great and put in a sensor. Drove all around town for a week, Drove perfect.
Took the vehicle on a 150 mile trip and got off freeway and started the same thing but now it would run 2nd gear a little longer before shifting. Took it to a ford dealer who just happened to have their 25 year veteran of transmissions working on a Saturday. He played with it and said the transmission was perfect could not figure it out. He said the truck worked perfect when the shift motor was disconnected. Their online Ford repair service said the shift motor is the likely part but no guarantee . Put that in and it continued the 2nd gear run out before shifting but at least it shifted up into the higher gears. Drove in home 150 miles, got off freeway and it started again. Took it to another ford dealer and he said it now won't go into reverse. They inspected it and just said let's put a new one in for $5760. I did not have the work done.
I just picked it up today and drove home in 2nd gear just to get it in the driveway, did not even try the Drive selection, didn't want to take a chance.Got it home and the reverse does not work.

I would like to thank all of you for your remarks, it's appreciated.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:18 PM

I'm not positive on this , but the trans range sensor could be sending wrong signals to the front wheel drive control module that affects the transfer case motor and trans functions.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:37 PM

One really quick thing to try here is to make the transmission dumb, which is easily accomplished by unplugging the bulkhead connector and trying it again. Reverse and usually 2nd gear will always be a result in this drivetrain. If not, it's the trans. for sure, as there is nothing electrical that can cause that problem.