General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Are they pulling my leg?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2023, 04:38 PM
Angry Are they pulling my leg?

Hello all,
Back in Nov of 2016 I bought a 2015 Fiesta from a rental car company. The rental car company lost the second key so I've been working on just one key all this time. I decided to get a duplicate key made because my niece has been borrowing my car.

I took the car to a Ford dealership in my area and had the key made. I'm thinking I now have 2 keys that I can use. This morning I found that the original key (not the new one) will not unlock the doors via the key fob. It WILL open the door if I put the key in the handle (does anyone remember unlocking their car this way) and it WILL start the car, but the lock and unlock buttons on the fob will not lock and unlock the doors.

I called the dealership and they told me that I would need to "authorize $185 to run the diagnostics". If they found they made a mistake when they programmed the new key I not would charge the $185. But if they didn't make the mistake I would have to pay the $185. They said "it could be the actuators in the door or some other module". But, that seems suspicious to me. If something was wrong/broken on the car, wouldn't both keys fail to open the doors via the key fob? It doesn't make sense to me.

Am I right to be suspicious?

Old 08-10-2023, 11:21 AM

There is a good possibility there is more than one problem.
One involving the security system and one involving the keys.

With all kinds of modules in the vehicles these days, it can get a little involved to pin down the causes.

You may need to go the route and have the shop do a thorough work up and system check to pin down the problem(s).

Depending on what is found , it would be difficult to provide an estimate of the cost to correct.