General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Transmission Flushing help?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 05:41 AM
Question Transmission Flushing help?

Hi all, I want to know that flushing is good or bad? When I'v to go for flushing?
How much I'v to spend on this? I'm confused whether I'v to go or not for transmission flushing? All suggestions welcome!!!!!

Old 07-20-2013, 02:29 PM

It's a waste of money if the transmission is working normally.

Old 07-20-2013, 07:11 PM

There must be a reason you are considering this, would you like to share that with us?

Old 07-22-2013, 03:19 AM

Normally, a shop will charge you $100-$125 for a flush.

Old 07-22-2013, 04:56 AM
Question

There is a problem while shifting gears and I'm also feeling that there is delay in the movement of my car. Some of my friend recommending flushing so i need more and more information that flushing is good or not?

Old 07-22-2013, 08:33 AM

To flush or not to flush...My opinion...

This depends on the shops definition of "TRANSMISSION FLUSH".

If it's a high mileage transmission, you do not want to FLUSH with any type of cleaner as it can cause crud to loosen up and release after the "FLUSH" is performed. This crud can then plug fluid passages and cause tranny failure due to lubrication starvation. You just want to do a "FLUID EXCHANGE" where the old fluid is pumped out while new fluid is pumped in.

If the fluid has been serviced per the MFG recommendations, then you only need to do a fluid exchange.

I've seen too many high mileage trannys fail 1-2K miles after having some type of "CLEANER introduced to the system for a tranny flush. The high mileage trannys with no cleaner introduced keep on rolling after a fluid exchange unless it had an actual pre-existing hard failure fixing to happen anyways.

Just change the filter and do a fluid exchange and you should be good to go.

Your symptoms may be caused by glazed clutch plates. Since MERCON V is a synthetic lubricant (Synthetics are a natural cleaner), a fill of new fluid may resolve your problem.

Last edited by Use Common Sense; 07-22-2013 at 08:36 AM.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:50 AM

Do not let one of these "lube shops" suck the old fluid out through the filler tube. That will just cause problems.

Old 07-22-2013, 02:06 PM

There are a lot of guys on this forum that have a lot more experience than I.
From my own experience when a trans had to be opened up and it was so bad crap was in the clutch packs, all of them, that's when we realize no flush of any kind is going to clean that crap out . I must agree if the trans is with many miles on it the better move is to change the fluid and filter. This can be done more often than generally recommended and does more good than harm.
In my humble opinion a flush is aimed at your wallet !
If the trans is acting up and no definite answer is found , the regular service of fluid and filter change which doesn't cost that much, is not a bad move.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:11 PM

Rules of Thumb for Ford transmissions (you could also call this "Mark sings the blues"):
1) If the car has under 60K on the clock, AND the fluid is clean, flush.
2) If the car had dark fluid and OK smell, a flush will usually work.
3) If the car has semlly dark fluid, it's the kiss of death.
4) If the trans has over around 100k and has never been flushed, DO NOT flush it if the fluid is either (this is NOT a conjunctive word) dark OR smells. In most of these, I'll catch what I can in the rebuild. Otherwise, the sludge is the only thing holding everything together. At this point, I'd probably do nothing more then drop the pan and refill. This is the gentlest approach and can help tremendouly sometimes.
And the other part of this is is that Ford never built a good gearbox till the Torqshift. The earlier the trans, the greater the problem(s).
The other thing of note is this: If you've had it rebuilt or flushed regularly (every 30k regular driving, or every 15K for severe use and Diesels), it's not uncommon for a Ford trans to go 300k, but it requires routine maintanence.

Old 07-22-2013, 10:47 PM

+1 for fluid exchange. This, as opposed to a flush will not stir up debris into the valve body or other parts of the trans; as an exchange does not reverse flow the fluid or pulse the pressure. Rather it uses the normal flow of the torque convertor to flow the fluid out through cooler line attached to the exchange machine.

I have NEVER seen a filter change and fluid exchange create problems.

you can do this at home. After changing the filter and filling the pan. disconnect the cooler return line and run the line into a container. start the engine and run out 4liters. shut the engine off and refill the trans. continue until the fluid runs clean or you have run the volume of the entire system capacity.

The automotive trans rebuilders association says 80% of trans failures are due to lack of maintenance. Do a exchange every 60 000miles. 16 liters of fluid is cheap compared to a teardown.