General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

URGENT : Body damage - Please help?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2023, 05:08 PM
Default URGENT : Body damage - Please help?

Hello. I ran into a curb from the traffic signal area. As you can see the ends are damaged and came off a little.

How much will it cost me to fix it? Or the part have to be replaced? What part # do I need?

My collision deductible is $1k from my auto insurance so I am not sure if that will be useful if the total cost less?

Is it safe to drive like this? What are the long term consequences if I don’t fix it?

2016 Ford Fusion SE FWD.

3 pictures:

https://ibb.co/zG5nm6S
https://ibb.co/gzF2kyh
https://ibb.co/Lg5kJ2b

Last edited by Ford Fusion Owner; 06-17-2023 at 09:31 PM.
Old 06-17-2023, 06:11 PM

Hanky?

Old 06-17-2023, 09:31 PM

Anyone here?

Old 06-18-2023, 05:02 AM

Good Morning,
Nothing serious, may be able to slide it back in place with a slight dent.

You could either have a body shop look at it and provide a quick estimate or maybe any shop with a little experience. To me, no big deal, strictly cosmetic.
Since you take good care of your vehicle ,just have a shop or two look at it and make sure there is no hidden damage, otherwise , have a nice Sunday !

Old 06-18-2023, 08:11 AM
Super Moderator

I second what hanky has already touched on.

It's called a rocker panel mounding. You may be able to slip it back, certainly don't want it rubbing on the tire.
Or, a shop may be able to reposition it. Even if the attachment points are damaged, they may be able to come up with way to hold it back in place. The other option may to to find a used one, even at times the same color, at a salvage yard. It wouldn't be terrible expensive at the dealer level for a new part, but a new one would need to be painted.

Old 06-18-2023, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by hanky
Good Morning,
Nothing serious, may be able to slide it back in place with a slight dent.

You could either have a body shop look at it and provide a quick estimate or maybe any shop with a little experience. To me, no big deal, strictly cosmetic.
Since you take good care of your vehicle ,just have a shop or two look at it and make sure there is no hidden damage, otherwise , have a nice Sunday !

My uncle who works as tech at a Ford dealership near my my home wants to see it. I will take it to him on Thursday. I am having anxiety over it. I know life happens. Unexpected costs are a given. I was hoping I can get this all fixed under $250?

I will need new screws for this right? I know they are cheap to buy.

How come I read online that a replacement rocker panel with labor costs over $2,000 and body shop has to remove the doors too to install it?

I tried to push it to front of car from back with my hands and it did not work. I don’t want to use hammer and cause more damage.

By the way did you see all 3 pictures? I posted 3 links.

Last edited by Ford Fusion Owner; 06-18-2023 at 11:02 AM.
Old 06-18-2023, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Hayapower
I second what hanky has already touched on.

It's called a rocker panel mounding. You may be able to slip it back, certainly don't want it rubbing on the tire.
Or, a shop may be able to reposition it. Even if the attachment points are damaged, they may be able to come up with way to hold it back in place. The other option may to to find a used one, even at times the same color, at a salvage yard. It wouldn't be terrible expensive at the dealer level for a new part, but a new one would need to be painted.
I read about rocker panel mounding but when I did Google search it shows that labor costs are over $2,000? How come? Nevertheless, I feel like we can push this rocker panel to the front? A hammer is needed? I don’t want to do it myself because I am scared to damage it.

My uncle who works at Ford as a tech wants to see if and see what he can go. I hope it doesn’t cost me more than $250? I will need new screws?

By the way I posted 3 links. Did you see all 3 pictures?

Last edited by Ford Fusion Owner; 06-18-2023 at 11:03 AM.