General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

White Display Screen?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2019, 08:44 PM
Super Moderator

Either the positive or negative cable removed will interrupt power distribution.

Some, will remove ‘both’ cables from the battery, then wait about 10 minutes or so and ‘momentarily’ touch both cables ends together. Touching the cables together after the wait time, drains any capacitive charge in some devices/components. But, I’d try just a simple battery disconnect.

Last edited by Hayapower; 12-05-2019 at 08:47 PM.
Old 12-06-2019, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Hayapower
Either the positive or negative cable removed will interrupt power distribution.

Some, will remove ‘both’ cables from the battery, then wait about 10 minutes or so and ‘momentarily’ touch both cables ends together. Touching the cables together after the wait time, drains any capacitive charge in some devices/components. But, I’d try just a simple battery disconnect.
I have to hold the end of the cable (the silver part) for about 10 minutes with both hands?

Old 12-06-2019, 09:38 PM
Super Moderator

You can just remove ‘ one’ ,,either,, of the battery cables to interrupt the power but generally the Negative is removed You might try a simple power interruption first.

Some modules will retain a very small amount of stored current within their internal capacitors.
For this type of reset,,

1. Remove ‘both’ battery cables.
2. Wait approx 10 minutes (both cables removed from the battery)
3. Momentarily touch both battery cables ends together. (there won’t be any spark etc)

And/or you can try the Bezel Diagnostic ‘first’ that I mentioned prior in post #5

Last edited by Hayapower; 12-06-2019 at 10:39 PM.
Old 12-08-2019, 08:50 AM

It may help some if we explained why we try to remove the negative cable first instead of the positive cable.

IF the negative remains connected to the vehicle and the positive cable/post is provided a path such as if the wrench contacts any of the other metal on the vehicle ,a short circuit is provided for the battery to discharge and this will not electrocute you , but can and will generate a big spark and could even weld the wrench to the metal , so we know that can get extremely hot.

If you remove the negative cable first the wrench if it contacts any metal on the vehicle will not do anything since they are the same voltage potential. Once you remove that path by removing the negative cable first, nothing will happen and accidental contact with any metal on the vehicle and the positive post/cable has no path to create a short circuit, so it is just safer to do it that way.
Hope we answered some of your concerns.

Old 12-10-2019, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
It may help some if we explained why we try to remove the negative cable first instead of the positive cable.

IF the negative remains connected to the vehicle and the positive cable/post is provided a path such as if the wrench contacts any of the other metal on the vehicle ,a short circuit is provided for the battery to discharge and this will not electrocute you , but can and will generate a big spark and could even weld the wrench to the metal , so we know that can get extremely hot.

If you remove the negative cable first the wrench if it contacts any metal on the vehicle will not do anything since they are the same voltage potential. Once you remove that path by removing the negative cable first, nothing will happen and accidental contact with any metal on the vehicle and the positive post/cable has no path to create a short circuit, so it is just safer to do it that way.
Hope we answered some of your concerns.
I took 2 pictures and will upload it later. The red color cap did have a + sign on it.

Old 12-15-2019, 09:50 PM

The screen display came on while was driving for a minute with a gray bar on top but went off. Thought it was a miracle for a moment.

Old 12-22-2019, 09:14 PM

So I can do this without taking the battery off?

Old 12-22-2019, 10:06 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Ford Fusion Owner
So I can do this without taking the battery off?

Yes,, it’s just a disconnect. I’d suspect it’s a display or module fail, but trying a disconnect and the ‘panel diagnostic’ mentioned prior may help prove out which....

Last edited by Hayapower; 12-22-2019 at 10:09 PM.
Old 12-22-2019, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Hayapower
Yes,, it’s just a disconnect
I can't find a YT video on how to do this.

Old 12-22-2019, 10:19 PM
Super Moderator

Looking at the battery,,

just remove the negative cable/clamp (positive battery cable will have a red cover or indication of)
Wait,, about 10 minutes and then ‘momentarily’ touch the negative battery cable to the battery positive post.
Reconnect the battery negative cable and restart the engine.
The hope is that any glitch in the system or during system initializing, the issue will correct.

What you can do for a visual aid is,,,, take an image of your battery/area, post it here, and we can edit it with the steps to do the task...

Quick Reply: White Display Screen?