New Member Area New to Ford Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

03 F-150 Supercrew

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 06:13 PM
Default 03 F-150 Supercrew

I have an 03 F-150 Supercrew and am having a few problems that even after taking it to a shop and paying to have fixed are still occuring as well as one new one.

Whenever I turn the wheels in either direction to a certain point it is as if the front of the vehicle is bouncing up and down rapidly and there is a sound of thudding while this happens. The shop told me I was missing an additive in the rear axle and that was causing the problem. I have had my truck back for two months now and it still makes the awful noise and bounces during turns.

About two days ago I went to the store. When I came back out to my truck and opened the door my radio was playing, keys in hand?? I turned my truck on and while driving home noticed that the dome light would not work. I went to pull over and put the truck in park and saw it flicker. So I put her in neutral and the light worked, but with a twist. Everytime the light was turned on the 4x4 light would illuminate on my dash??? Then I continued on my way home and finished my cigarrette. As I go to roll the window up there is no power to the door panels. Again I pulled over and put it in neutral and bam the window rolled right up. As I again continued on my way home the 4x4 light would illuminate on and off randomly. After I got home and shut the truck off my radio continued to play although the keys were in my hand and the chime it gives you when you leave your headlights on or the keys in the ignition would not go off although the keys were in my hand and the lights were never on. I woke up the next morning to go to work and the truck is dead. Took over ten minutes to jump it and get it rolling again. Now I am stuck disconnecting the battery when I get to work and when I get home everyday.

Does anyone know what either of these problems could be?

Old 09-14-2015, 07:26 PM

Without the right tools to confirm my suspicions, there have been times when the 4X4 module has a problem and causes the 4X4 system to engage and that may be what might be causing the front end hop.
Even if one module malfunctions and causes the system electronics to fail to "go to sleep" it can keep the system awake and operating when it should not resulting in a dead battery problem. A good quality scan tool may be required to check "module health". Unless your shop has the tools and training ,you may wind up taking it to a Ford dealership that has the tools and ,should have the training.

Old 09-14-2015, 11:47 PM

Hanky

When you said it could be the 4x4 module acting up it got me to researching and this is One forum I found that really stuck out to me.

"I have an 02 XLT 4.0L that has a severe binding in the front end when making tight turns at low speeds as if the 4wd is trying to engage. So far the transfer case has been replaced & all sensors have checked out ok. Now my mechanic has disconnected the 4x4 module & the banging in the front end has stopped"

My question for you now, Hanky, is what exactly is the 4x4 module? Is it the GEM module? The control module? The powertrain control module? Is it a fuse or an actual part that I disconnect? Also, can it be disconnected & the vehicle still driven until the module is replaced at a later date, just in 2wd at all times?

Any advice you can give would be great. Thank you so much already for getting me this far.

Old 09-15-2015, 02:51 PM

The 4 wheel drive control module is a separate module located behind the right side of the dash.
The BCM and PCM are also separate modules.
You can try driving with the module disconnected, but You will get codes that will let you know the system is open. When looking for a faulty module that is exactly what we do, disconnect it from the system . There are times when communication with the system is not possible due to a faulty module and removing the various modules from the system will allow us to locate the faulty one by connecting them one at a time and when communication is lost , that reveals the faulty module. Quality scan tools will also assist in locating the defective module. You need to be careful because what may look like a solution may only be revealing a certain potion of the problem. Modules do become faulty, but a good part of the time poor connections play a major role.

Old 09-15-2015, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
The 4 wheel drive control module is a separate module located behind the right side of the dash.
The BCM and PCM are also separate modules.
You can try driving with the module disconnected, but You will get codes that will let you know the system is open. When looking for a faulty module that is exactly what we do, disconnect it from the system . There are times when communication with the system is not possible due to a faulty module and removing the various modules from the system will allow us to locate the faulty one by connecting them one at a time and when communication is lost , that reveals the faulty module. Quality scan tools will also assist in locating the defective module. You need to be careful because what may look like a solution may only be revealing a certain potion of the problem. Modules do become faulty, but a good part of the time poor connections play a major role.
Thank you hanky. I am going to check for bad connections & if the issue isn't there do as you said by scanning, disconnecting, & reconnecting. It will be a few days before I am able to get around to it, but will update with the results as soon as I do.
Thanks again!