New Member Area New to Ford Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

1998 ford contour

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 12:03 PM
Wink 1998 ford contour

car was running great, next morning tried to start and sounded like timing off, new coil pack, wires, camshaft sensor, realigned timing using 1/8 flat bar, still sounds like timing is off, any ideas?, pulled fuel rail all injectors spraying, have fire at plugs, can smell an odor after trying to start, no water in oil,

Old 03-31-2013, 01:02 PM

your crank shaft sensor may went bad and not letting it start and run. What does the odor smell like burned wires, gas, or what?

Old 04-01-2013, 10:48 PM

thanks for the quick response, I replaced the cranskshaft sensor same response smells like gas but partially burned gas , no bad backfires, went and bought meter to check resistance on fuel injectors, although I had pulled fuel rail and injectors sprayed fine, plenty of gas pressure at relief valve, figured instead of buying more next step is to check each sensor on motor with meter, timing is set perfectly getting frustrated to say the least

Old 04-02-2013, 06:32 PM

you may have to let the computer relearn all the settings and sometimes that takes a little bit of time. are you getting any codes on your idiot light

Old 04-03-2013, 07:29 PM

ty grindman but it will not run long enough for check engine light, no water in oil, plenty of gas pressure really stumped here, weather not good enough til Friday to work on, cant find egr valve to check, as earlier was running great, never got hot, wont restart, wonder if it is the ecm at this point

Old 04-04-2013, 10:52 AM

Which engine? How many miles on it?
Clean throttle body and EGR valve (don't throw parts at it!) Test or replace the PCV and hose.
Clean the MAF sensor.
Fuel pressure regulator?
Check the electrical contacts at the battery and all ground connections.

Get more ideas here:Mad Moles Mondeo Madness: The resource centre for Ford Mondeo enthusiasts, performance and problem solving
and here:The Contour Enthusiasts Group

Old 04-04-2013, 06:17 PM

I'm assuming that has a V-6 in it just don't know which one or size. I can't understand why they made them this way cause most of the time a person has to take the upper part of the engine apart just to replace a valve cover gasket. so replacing the egr or even cleaning it can be cumbersome.

Old 04-07-2013, 02:00 PM
Exclamation

would a bad crankshaft position sensor keep car from running at all? unplugged maf sensor and still acts the same, wont run tries to but thinking now it might be crankshaft sensor

Old 04-07-2013, 02:01 PM

cannot find egr valve to check it any idea where it is?1998 4cyl ford contour

Old 04-07-2013, 02:20 PM

look towards the back of the engine should be mounted on the lower intake manifold. and it being a four cylinder engine threw me for a loop because I thought for sure it would have a v-6 considering the size of the car.

Quick Reply: 1998 ford contour