New Member Area New to Ford Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

2003 Ford Focus rear door handle broken

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 11:52 AM
Default 2003 Ford Focus rear door handle broken

Hello, I am a new member so not sure where to post a question, I would like to know if a rear door can be opened for repair if the door handle does not work from the inside or outside?
Thanks ! *2003 Ford Focus ZX5

Since the door can not be opened, you are unable to access the screws that hold the door panel on to repair the handle, I called a certified Ford dealer yesterday, and they said there is nothing you can do, and I asked them if they could repair it, they declined said you are basically up S*** Creek, if I was in an accident and the passenger could not get out because of a broken door handle, I would think Ford would be held liable since you are unable to even repair something on your vehicle. Seems crazy but that's what they told me at the service desk.

Last edited by rogerdodger; 10-15-2017 at 11:56 AM.
Old 10-15-2017, 12:27 PM

Have you considered taking the vehicle to a local locksmith who should be able to get it at least open and possibly even repair it for you.

Old 10-17-2017, 02:53 PM

Thanks Hanky, yes called 2 locksmiths and they chuckled because they said they only pick locks not doors; lol so already tried that, I am calling Ford today to tell them what a person is supposed to do with a car that CAN NOT BE REPAIRED and is NOT SAFE TO DRIVE; see if that gets their attention I guess.

Old 10-17-2017, 02:56 PM

PS: there is a video on YouTube where the guy basically pryed the door open enough to get a reciprocal saw and cut the bar the door mechanism catches on and he was able to open the door; destroyed the doors, but he got it open, no thanks, I guess I am screwed.

Old 10-17-2017, 07:27 PM

Depending on how determined you are, consider this,
The rear door on the other side, open it up and get a good idea of where the linkage is and what has to move so the door lock can be released possibly with a coat hanger or thin piece of metal slid down between the glass and the mechanism. Once you see what has to be moved you can fish around until you move it and release the lock. I have never done this thing with your exact year and model,but it is definitely worth a try instead of butchering the door. I'm a little surprised at your locksmith's reply because they have all the necessary tools to open doors without "picking the lock" !

Something I should mention, Make sure your vehicle does not have side air bags because fishing around in there on those equipped models can trigger the side air bag system.

Last edited by hanky; 10-17-2017 at 07:34 PM.
Old 10-18-2017, 08:34 AM

Yea, that was a no brainer calling a lcoksmith first, but a dealership shop really blew me a way, not even a suggestion. Called a 3rd locksmith just to see what they would say, but same thing. I have been combing YouiTube for some door opening vids, and there are several, so I don't have much to loose by trying it. I don't think my model has side airbags but I will check anyway first. I just replaced the front driver door handle last week, that one broke too, so I know how to take the door apart already and if you can remove the handle you can get at the mechanism that opens the door, so at least I know the area to fish. Man they sure have problems with door handles, have read tons of articles about how bad and cheap the handles are. I read about a recall somewhere and took it to my local dealer and he said not on my model, go figure. Thanks again I'll let you know what happens, I don't want to get any crazy ideas to go steal ford focus's if I am able to pick the rear lock; lol