New Member Area New to Ford Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

Brand New Member Restoring 1963 Galaxie 500 Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 10:36 AM
Default Brand New Member Restoring 1963 Galaxie 500 Convertible

I have a 1963 Galaxie 500 Convertible with the FE Thunderbird 390. I am not much in the way of a mechanic, but with the help of an old friend, I have gotten the heads off and had them rebuilt and the engine has been torn down and is at the local Automotive Machine shop where it will boiled and pressure tested. When I had the heads rebuilt, I had them install hard seats so they should be good as new and unless I drive this car as I did when I was 17 (it was the family car, long ago, and was passed along to me) it should last at least the rest of my lifetime (I am 51 now..... )

The car has been sitting for about 30 years, most of that under a roof. As we started to tear it down we found bent push rods and two busted lifters.... long story short it turned into a full engine rebuild rather quickly. My goal for this engine is to get around 350 HP from it. My literature says that it was rated factory/stock at 300 HP. I am talking about getting 15% more (give or take) HP from the engine. I am looking for a little advice in this regard.

My thoughts are an Edelbrock 2105 Aluminum intake and a slightly more radical cam, and that is about it. I have no interest in going to high compression. I am not trying to get a Super Powered Street Beast out of this, just hoping that when I put my foot down a little I feel a bit more Kick than I remember.

So, since I am barely a mechanic, which is to say I have been turning wrenches on this car and following along but it is also safe to say that without my friend who has been a mechanic his whole life, I would have stalled out several times now. I am hoping I can get advice and education, particularly on some cam-shaft recommendations for this motor. I technically understand what the numbers on a cam-shaft mean and how it works, but I am not secure that I understand what that practically means. So yes, I get that higher lift longer duration mean more flow, but how much to change this and how it effects overall engine performance is confusing me right now.

I am hoping someone has some experience with the old FE from this era and that the group has some recommendations for specific cams, or for websites that will improve my personal knowledge. I still want the engine to run smoothly. If it comes down to more HP or running smoothly, I would prefer to keep it straight stock rather than put myself in a situation where I have a finicky engine. My intention is a bit more horsepower but not enough to give me headaches down the road. My intention is that this is the last time this engine gets opened up in my lifetime, and I will pass it down as it was passed to me.

I hope I have communicated clearly. Thanks in advance for any advice. I hope I am not sounding like a whining newbie, even if I kind of am, at least a newbie. I try not to whine too much...
Thanks
Eric

Old 09-20-2018, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the site.
Do post up some images when you get a chance..
An RV cam would give it a bit more grunt, no idle issues, broad power/torque increase.

Is is the car going to remain stock?

Old 09-26-2018, 06:44 AM

Other than the cam and aluminum intake, almost everything that comes off the car is going right back in. I bought a '63 hard top for parts (no engine, no trans). I am planning to put in the solid metal dash from the hard top in my car to replace my foam backed dash-top which is cracked from sun exposure. I will probably paint the valve covers, possibly a non-stock color. Little things like that, but for purposes of simplicity and cost effectiveness it is basically take it apart and put it back together.

I have been posting little blurbs on YOUTUBE. here is a link from last week. You can work backwards from there if you want.

There are not clear images of my entire car, I posted this mostly so family can follow along, especially my mom and dad, as for many years this was the only car my parents owned, the only car my family had. If you want more things posted, or specific things posted, request them. It would be cool to me if people found it interesting.

Old 09-26-2018, 06:45 AM

Also quick question: People ask me if my car is 1963 or 1963-1/2. I truly do not know. Could someone tell me a quick way to find this out?

Old 12-09-2018, 05:11 PM

You might consider exhaust headers to increase power.