New Member Area New to Ford Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

clutch pedal failure

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2019, 09:48 AM
Default clutch pedal failure

Was gifted a 06 mustang v6...long story short it had a whine when i would press the clutch pedal to the floor....the whine stopped when i released the clutch i took it to a mechanic he said he'd have to TAKE IT APART...??.. this went on for a few months til now...A few days ago i rode my bike to work returned home pulled the car out the garage an now i have a squealing noise sounding like it underneath the car and now when i press the clutch pedal down it stops releasing the pedal it starts squealing again...took it to the mechanic who didn't have time to LOOK at it ....two hours later the clutch goes out pedal to the floor and I'm stuck in the middle of a busy highway...looked at the car this morning and i can still put the car in gear when its off so I'm hoping it isn't a clutch but the master or slave cylinder ...oh and i have fluid leaking from the bell housing of the transmission looks clear but dirty and not like it could be transmission fluid... can anyone help me determine what it is ....i have no way of fixing the slave without a mechanic dropping the trans

Old 05-26-2019, 01:35 PM

Hold on to your wallet.
Sounds cruel and insensitive,but this is what usually happens when we put off doing what we should.
The chances of the slave cyl going out to lunch are pretty good since the fluid is leaking now.
There is a clutch assy and related parts replacement up the road. Wherever you took the vehicle for whatever reason didn't seem to want to get involved.
The better way to correct this problem , IMHO ,is to replace the pressure plate, clutch disc, slave cyl , clutch master cyl, pilot brg, clutch release brg and lets hope not the flywheel too..
What doesn't help is the friction parts are probably soaked with fluid and they can't be reclaimed.
Release brgs usually don't give too much problem unless,,,,,,,,,,,,,the clutch needed adjustment and was not done, and some folks have a habit of resting their foot on the clutch pedal and that again puts the slave cyl and release brg up against the clutch release fingers when it should not be there.
Hope we gave you some insight to prevent a repeat performance

Old 05-27-2019, 07:30 AM

Thanks for the response...the issue now is where to take the car for the repairs my local mechanic the ford dealership or a transmission shop and what did you mean by "this is what usually happens when we put off doing what we should".

Old 05-27-2019, 02:43 PM

If I understand your description correctly, "this went on for a few months" led me to believe there was a problem that should have been addressed at the time. Nothing more and nothing less. No offense intended.
You might consider obtaining some estimates from the various places and compare what they offer for their charge..
Some places will repair the trans as required, while some others will just swap out and install a rebuilt or replacement trans..Never hurts to shop around.and even get other opinions.

Old 05-27-2019, 11:22 PM

No offense taken hanky i appreciate your input at this point all i can do is shop around and compare prices before i get it towed anywhere