Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

94 f-350 clutch slipping

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 02:49 PM
Default 94 f-350 clutch slipping

i just got my 94 back from having the clutch peddle lowered. less than ten miles and the clutch slips when i pull small hill.does the clutch master cylinder need to be bled or is there another problem.? there is also movement of the master cylinder when the clutch is pushed in.

Old 12-09-2014, 04:02 PM

I'm not clear on what you mean by having the clutch pedal lowered.

When a clutch slips it is because there is not enough pressure applied to the clutch disc keeping it in contact with the flywheel. That could be caused by a worn clutch disc, incorrect adjustment where all the pressure from the clutch pressure plate is not allowed to squeeze the disc against the flywheel entirely. Also a worn or weak pressure plate assy could allow the disc to slip when the pressure is reapplied by the pressure plate assy. In the case of a hydraulic clutch system the clutch master cylinder may be holding the pressure plate away from squeezing the disc. The clutch master cyl should be securely attached to the firewall and should not move when the pedal is depressed. If you had a clutch problem before someone worked on it maybe the real problem was not corrected. If the clutch pedal comes all the way up and there is some free ply before any resistance is felt when depressing the pedal , the clutch assy should fully apply with the pedal up. If not replacement may be required.

Old 12-10-2014, 11:46 AM
Default pedal too high

Hanky, when I bought this truck the clutch petal was nearly even with the top of the seat. My knee almost hit the steering column when I shifted. I found that the pedal stop had broken off and had it replaced. The tech at ford says he didn't bleed the master when he replaced the stop. Before this I had no clutch problems. Told it was a new clutch. Thank you for the insight on other areas to watch for, texashobo

Old 12-12-2014, 12:24 PM

I wonder if with the pedal way far up with the broken stop if some fluid got on the back side (wrong side) of the master cylinder piston. Agree the MC should not budge when the pedal is depressed.
Eric

Old 12-12-2014, 05:10 PM

If you haven't had the problem corrected yet, you can check the following suggestion.
With the clutch pedal up against the stop you should have approx. 1/2to 1 inch of what is called "free ply" when you begin to depress the clutch pedal. After going down the 1 inch you should feel increased resistance all the way down to the bottom of the clutch pedal travel. If you have more than the 1 inch you could have trouble getting the shift lever into first gear from a stop. If you have no "free ply" that means the clutch is not being allowed to release completely and could be the cause for the slipping you feel. Which condition do you have at this time? Either of these two conditions can usually be corrected by adjustment.