New Member Area New to Ford Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

Electrical Short - Instrument panel

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 10:56 PM
Unhappy Electrical Short - Instrument panel

Hi guys! I hope you can help me. My girlfriend has a 2006 Ford F150 XLT 5.4L Triton 4x4 Double Cab that she bought used. It has 57k miles and is in great shape. However, about 2 weeks ago the electrical system started acting up.
It started like this. I got into the truck and drove down the street and out of now where, the door chime sounded. All doors were closed nice and tight. I looked at the instrument panel and all the warning lights were on. All the gauges dropped and the little screen that shows the odometer, trip, temp and compass went blank. The light in the screen remained on but it was blank. After a few minutes/miles the door chime sounded again and the gauges went back to normal and all the warning lights turned off. But the little screen remained blank. It acts like a short but I can't find anything. I've checked the battery, battery cables, harness and grounds. They all seem fine. If I disconnect and reconnect the positive batter cable, the screen resets. But the same thing happens intermittently. I have monitored to see what the trigger is and it does it at will with no warning. I'm not entirely positive but most of the time it may do it when the steering wheel turns to the right but at time it will do it when turned to the left. I've checked the harness and ignition switch and it seems ok. At least I don't see any evidence of shorts like a burnt wire. I also pulled the instrument panel and checked the circuit board. I do not see anything unusual. I don't see any area where there may be a jump or any broken solders points. This may be a coincidence but at one point, when I reset everything and pushed the trip reset button, it went berserk and did it again. Any help or suggestions would be great.

Old 07-28-2010, 04:01 PM

Some of those instrument panel problems require replacement of the entire panel assy. Get a second opinion from a few Ford dealers. hanky

Old 12-31-2010, 09:42 PM

I have a web site that could probably help you with this. go scottykilmer.com, you may post your question in the site and he will reply really fast. Good luck!. Thinking about it-- if you email him it would be a lot faster..