New Member Area New to Ford Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

Former UK Transit owner, and current Econoline tyke

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 12:23 AM
Thumbs up Former UK Transit owner, and current Econoline tyke

Hi Everyone . . . . As you might have noted from the title my Ford background is a mite complicated!

Anyway, this is my story . . . I moved to the US in 1985, but as was heading back to the UK on a regular basis to lead photo tours and renting pricey passenger vans, I decided to invest in a 1997 Ford Transit Diesel, Turbo 2.5 in 2007.

At about the same time I bought a 1997 Ford Econoline E350 v10 which I found online. The difference between the two vans is night and day, but I digress.

I was a member of a UK based Ford Transit forum over the years, and loved the interactions, helping others, and finding help for myself on one particular occasion . . . anyone know what the pesky 'limp mode' is?!

Anyway, the Transit has retired to Ireland and hauls a Donegal family about on holidays, while my Econoline is used almost daily in Idaho for trips to Walmart and Costco. Oh and recent trips for tours in Texas and Washington state.

I love my 'Econo-Cruiser' and look for to getting to know you good folk on this forum. If it's anything like the UK version it'll be a blast!

Last edited by Econo-Cruiser; 05-21-2019 at 12:38 AM.
Old 05-21-2019, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the site

Limp Mode is a powertrain protection mode.
Could be perimeters are excessively exceeded, missing, or hazardous engine/trans issues are detected, limp mode is enabled so that the vehicle can still be driven without damage to a shop etc. Speed, power, and trans function may be limited as part of LM..

Old 05-21-2019, 11:31 AM

Thanks! I asked as I hadn't come across it in the US, and found it to be a nuisance a few years ago when I had clients aboard.

I was heading up a steep hill in Wales when it went into limp mode. I couldn't figure it out at the time, so I dropped off the clients at the hotel for a break and headed to a garage. They figured out that it was a moving part in the electronic fuel pump, but couldn't do anything to help me at short notice.

Back at the hotel I got on the Ford Transit forum and quickly got a short term resolution, i.e. stall it in 3rd gear to clear limp mode. It worked and I was ecstatic!

Not ideal when doing business, and before reverting the van to a manual fuel pump I found an even better way to clear limp mode. After turning off the ignition it would continue to idle, but by turning the ignition back on and then quickly off, it cleared the issue.

I ran it like that for several weeks and the clients were non the wiser. Of course, I was sweatin' in the whole time!

Old 05-21-2019, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator

Your doing scenic tours here in the states?
I know when I go to Costco,, I fill nearly my whole truck with goods. Grateful I don't have any more space $$$$

Last edited by Hayapower; 05-23-2019 at 10:40 AM.
Old 05-21-2019, 05:49 PM

Your doing scenic tours here in the states?
Yeh, and a number of places around the planet including my olde home. I'm not sure about innocently 'advertising' on here, but you'll find my photo tour website is in my profile.

Yeh, Costco . . . gotta love it and those impulsive buys of items that show up on just about every visit. You know, that 'can't live without' stuff!

Old 05-22-2019, 08:35 AM
Super Moderator

Very impressive web site and images.Your career must keep you on the move!
You could put your link in your signature. Since it's a personal business, and travel means is Ford enthusiast in nature, I don't see any conflict..

Old 05-22-2019, 11:03 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Hayapower
Very impressive web site and images.Your career must keep you on the move!
You could put your link in your signature. Since it's a personal business, and travel means is Ford enthusiast in nature, I don't see any conflict..
Thank you 'Mr Higher Power' - great name! - your kind comments are appreciated.