Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

I need help with a differential

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 01:16 AM
Default I need help with a differential

I taking automatic/manual transmission in my high school. It's my first time taking these classes, and I really want an A, but I'm getting my *** kicked.
I took the differential apart and I can't find the serial number.
I found some numbers/letters on the ring gear assembly and it reads:
C6AW - DMCC

somewhere else it reads:
C6AW 4205-8

I know the Make is Ford, but I don't know the model.

Any idea?
Thanks

Old 10-05-2012, 11:02 AM

I believe that is a Ford 9 inch they put those in damn near every thing with few exceptions.
and about the way I can tell what the gears are by counting the teeth on both the ring and pinion gears you divide the ring gear teeth by the pinion gear and that gives you the ratio like 4:10 3:73 there should have been a tag on one of the bolts that holds the back cover on

Old 10-06-2012, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by grindman
I believe that is a Ford 9 inch they put those in damn near every thing with few exceptions.
and about the way I can tell what the gears are by counting the teeth on both the ring and pinion gears you divide the ring gear teeth by the pinion gear and that gives you the ratio like 4:10 3:73 there should have been a tag on one of the bolts that holds the back cover on
Thanks for the info.

I done some research and I found out ,hopefully it's the right information, that it came out of a 1981 (or something, have to go back and look at my notes) ford F150 truck. The ring gear nine inches or eight, again I have to look at my notes, but since the differential is super old, and belongs to my high school, everything inside is all mixed up.
Almost everything inside was made in different years. So I decided to look up the info on the Housing like what truck it came from, etc. There's no plate tag (because everything is old), but I have the Code which is C7AW E 58.

Like I said, I found out that it came out if a 1981 Ford F150 truck, but I still need to confirm this and still need a bit more info.

Any help would be a life saver.

Thanks!

Old 10-07-2012, 05:33 PM

If I might ask, why did you take it apart?
If you need bearings,they should have the numbers on them. If you need the ring and pinion all you need is the size and number of teeth since they are always replaced with a matched set. A lot is determined by the number of bolts in the cover plate. If you need shims you will probably do best at a ford dealer parts dept if you bring in the size of the present shims. As you know they are set up by tooth pattern unless you are trying to use other specs. Pinion preload is pretty much the same for most.

Old 10-08-2012, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
If I might ask, why did you take it apart?
If you need bearings,they should have the numbers on them. If you need the ring and pinion all you need is the size and number of teeth since they are always replaced with a matched set. A lot is determined by the number of bolts in the cover plate. If you need shims you will probably do best at a ford dealer parts dept if you bring in the size of the present shims. As you know they are set up by tooth pattern unless you are trying to use other specs. Pinion preload is pretty much the same for most.
Class project.

Old 10-08-2012, 06:49 PM

If upon inspection you find nothing requiring replacement, just study your instructional material well and do the best you can. Learn as much as you can, there will almost always be differentials needing work and a good man is worth his weight in gold.
Not all shops will have the proper and best tools to work with so learn the alternate methods too. When in school we don't always realize the need to be always learning, but if we stop learning we fall behind,FAST !