Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

What is your favorite filter??

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 09:43 PM
Default What is your favorite filter??

I had an almost argument with a client today about an oil filter of all things. I am a ferm believer in OEM, the person that designed the car has got to know more than I do, but like everyone else I have my favorites.
I use Wix filters for everything; I have put them on everything from a D6 caterpillar dozer to my lawnmower. I have a trust in them and they have never let me down. Rebuilt the engine in a mud bog truck some time ago and used a Fram for break in, the ___ thing collapsed on me within an hour. My client wanted a Purolator on a 05 Volvo. Well he got what he asked for but now I wonder if there is something to his claims.

Old 03-01-2012, 03:26 AM

I agree with you, OEM have never "done me wrong".
It is pretty difficult to try to pick a favorite since one manufacturer can make filters for many different companies. Some companies have stricter specs to adhere to and possibly require better quality , but don't advertise very much, while some others spend a lot on advertising and don't quite have a better product.
It would seem to me the decision of "a favorite filter brand" might just be based on personal experience regardless of good or bad. There are also some well advertised brands that are produced outside this country that are cheaper and so is the quality!

Old 03-04-2012, 10:41 AM

in all my years I have never had any filter fail. I've bought at one time or another just about every brand marketed in this part of the country, NAPA,Wix,Baldwin,Purolator,Parts Master,AC Delco,Motorcraft,Fram,Super Tech(Wal-Mart) Fleetguard, the list goes on......... These went one everything from a lawnmower to a class 8 truck

Old 03-04-2012, 11:01 AM

I have never had one go sour on me either and I have used all that you mentioned. There I'm sure, can be a good explanation as to why the one that collapsed did that.