Transit Connect?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 12:53 PM
Default Transit Connect?

I just picked up a new Transit Connect and had the dealer install roof rack shelves and a cage I gave it to one of my techs who immediately went to adjust the seat belt height adjustment and discovered it didn't work. We brought the truck back to the dealer and at this time I was told if you install the cage you can not adjust the seat belts. They removed the bolts holding the cage in place and adjusted the belt for my guy who was there at the time but once they bolted it back in place it's no longer adjustable.

Basically I was told this is just the way it is deal with it! I'm not happy about this and I'm sure I can find a way to install it correctly but I'm wondering has anyone else every heard this before? I think this is completely unacceptable to sacrifice one safety feature for another!

Does anyone have a simple solution short of removing the bolts every time I need to adjust the belt height I have more then one person that may drive the truck and they are far from the same heights.

This was one of several issues I had with the purchase I have owned many Fords in the past but this may be the last

Last edited by phonemd; 12-21-2013 at 03:43 PM.
Old 12-21-2013, 03:11 PM

There has to be a reason the cage is interfering with the seat belt system. Aside from the fact that the dealer is partially disabling a factory safety feature is leaving him wide open for trouble. Most upfitters (people that install add on equip for dealers) usually do a decent job without altering any safety features. You might check with another dealer service dept or contact the company that manufactured the cage and see what they have to say about that. I really don't think they would offer a product that does what you state when properly installed. Let us know how you make out with this, thanks.

Old 12-21-2013, 03:22 PM

I'm thinking that the cage is too far forward and not letting seat belts be adjustable. it couldn't be hard to find out if there is enough room behind the door post to mount it behind the belt mounting and allowing the adjustment for the seat belts.

Old 12-21-2013, 03:42 PM

It is pretty clear that the mounting screws are simply preventing the adjuster for sliding removing the screws corrects the problem however creates another. I have complained to the dealer several times and I being told that's just the way it is. I have not had time to look at this myself it is likely that my tech will find a way to deal with this himself but he shouldn't have to and God help me if he creates another issue and the seat belt fails when needed! I bought a new truck as not to have any issues! I'm starting to wish I went with the Ram Promaster, I really liked that truck but they couldn't tell me what the mileage it would get so for 10K less I guess I got what I paid for.

Old 12-21-2013, 04:05 PM

you might have to drill some new holes to fix this problem. I can't say that the cage will be perfectly square or plumb which could be off a inch or two. and yes most generally one gets what they pay for but I would rather put up with a cage that isn't square compared to not having the seat belts

Old 12-21-2013, 04:17 PM

Don't get me wrong the seat belts work but you can't adjust the should height it is lock in place by the mounting screws. I have used Ford trucks for work trucks since 93' I have this is my sixth or seventh Ford Truck I have also had a couple of Chevy in this time as well this is the first time I bite the bullet and had a dealer do the full upfit and clearly it was a mistake. This is only one of the issues the others have been resolved took a week but I'm OK with the end results. I will be real upset if it doesn't get at least close to the stated mileage which is the main reason for the purchase.

I should have time next week to look at the truck worst case I will have taps welded to move the mounting screws.

Old 12-21-2013, 04:37 PM

that sounds like a plan to me. good luck and God bless. have a safe and merry christmas

Old 12-21-2013, 05:20 PM

I don't know if it will pay for you to go into the following, but from my own experience installing shelves, cages and various other upfitting parts on new vehicles I used a prodcuct called a "nutsert" sold by Bowman Distribution. It used a special tool that spread a serriated nut in the sheet metal as an anchor. Very strong and never had any pull out. You could get them in various sizes although 1/4 X 20 was strong enough to hold any cage in place. As long as there was at least 3/4 in space behind the anchor hole the nutsert could be installed. No need to ruin anything with heat from welding etc. I think the dealer just had the wrong man with insufficient experience do the job.

Old 12-21-2013, 07:38 PM

I don't think there is 3/4" space behind that is the reason there is a problem, the installer just screwed it in with self tapping screws. My installers install far more complex equipment and can figure this out but on my dime! I paid a so called pro to do a job I shouldn't have to fix his mistakes. To make matters worse I don't like the attitude as if I did something wrong for expecting everything to work on a new truck.
Frankly the seated issue is minor in comparisons to the other issues but as I mentioned these have been corrected now so it's water under the bridge. I hope to have this truck for years to come, I'm having it wrapped ASAP I just want it to be complete and fully stock for work so I don't have to think about this any more.