Ford Escape The newest smaller SUV from Ford allows the buyer to have the use of an SUV without the hunger for fuel that so many SUVs display.

Rust undercarriage

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 09:49 PM
Default Rust undercarriage

I bought a 2014 escape from New Jersey. It's in mint condition until you go under the carriage. Where I was shocked by the rust. They said it was surface rust but summers eve and flaking off in chunks. I'm concerned. Any thoughts.

Old 09-16-2017, 07:21 AM

Look at that rust!😕

Originally Posted by Pamelad
I bought a 2014 escape from New Jersey. It's in mint condition until you go under the carriage. Where I was shocked by the rust. They said it was surface rust but summers eve and flaking off in chunks. I'm concerned. Any thoughts.
i address pictures of the rust. New to forums so not to good at posting.

Last edited by Pamelad; 09-16-2017 at 07:23 AM.
Old 09-16-2017, 08:35 AM

A quick observation and it appears the vehicle was stored outdoors and very possibly parked over damp grass. There are much older vehicles with very little if any rust and a lot depends on where it was used/parked.

Old 09-16-2017, 08:58 AM

From the pictures I see the rust in nothing to worry about other than maybe in will need exhaust system replacement sometime in the future. What does the actual undercarriage look like ? pay attention to the pinch-welds near the rocker panels and in the wheel well ares.

Old 09-16-2017, 09:08 AM
Super Moderator
Thumbs up

Welcome to the site..

Jersey would be in road salt belt..
The worst of it looks like components that were bare metal originally as it would take full impact from salt.
As long as anything structural doesn't come into play, it's normal for a vehicle subjected to corrosive environments. Any untreated, uncoated, or any collection/pinch points areas may tend to rust, even body panels at some point..
Muff probably being one of the pieces needing new in the not so distant future.

Doesn't look horrible, just what you'd expect from any vehicle used in corrosive areas...

Old 09-16-2017, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by mrwitty_1
From the pictures I see the rust in nothing to worry about other than maybe in will need exhaust system replacement sometime in the future. What does the actual undercarriage look like ? pay attention to the pinch-welds near the rocker panels and in the wheel well ares.
Thank you. I live in north Florida and bought the car before I realize that came from the salt belt. But it won't be subjected to that anymore. Thank you for relieving my concerns. I don't buy many cars and so was very worried. Especially since it looks so meant on the inside and the body. The undercarriage they did have me worried.

Old 09-16-2017, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Hayapower
Welcome to the site..

Jersey would be in road salt belt..
The worst of it looks like components that were bare metal originally as it would take full impact from salt.
As long as anything structural doesn't come into play, it's normal for a vehicle subjected to corrosive environments. Any untreated, uncoated, or any collection/pinch points areas may tend to rust, even body panels at some point..
Muff probably being one of the pieces needing new in the not so distant future.

Doesn't look horrible, just what you'd expect from any vehicle used in corrosive areas...
thank you so much. I will be careful about getting cars from "the salt belt in "in the future. I'm glad it doesn't look horrible. And I don't live in a corrosive area so hopefully it won't get worse. I'll take another look at the muffler. Thank you for welcoming me to the forum

Old 09-16-2017, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by hanky
A quick observation and it appears the vehicle was stored outdoors and very possibly parked over damp grass. There are much older vehicles with very little if any rust and a lot depends on where it was used/parked.
thank you for input!

Old 09-16-2017, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by hanky
thank you for input!

Old 09-16-2017, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by mrwitty_1
Will do! Thank you