Windstar/Aerostar The beginning of the minivan for Ford.

'01 Windstar drive shaft replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 11:25 AM
Default '01 Windstar drive shaft replacement

Planning on replacing both the drive shafts on my Windstar. It looks like a pretty strightforward task, but I was wondering if anyone that has already done it has had problems with leaks around the transmission seal. Seems reasonable to me to replace the seals with new as long as I'm putting in new shafts, but I don't know how difficult that would be or if it's even necessary.

Any input is appreciated.

Old 02-15-2015, 10:57 AM

A lot will depend on how many miles are on the seals and their condition, If you are careful to clean the area before removing the shaft there is less chance for garbage to get in there to compromise the seal. If it was not leaking ,and the bearing is not badly worn the seal should be OK, but if you have any doubt replace them. Be careful to not allow the joint end to rest on the seal instead of sliding on the splines. There are a few tools that if you have them can make the job go a lot easier, but will require a little more effort to get the job done without them. Where you obtain the replacement shafts, if purchased locally, should be able to supply the things you should need like the axle nut, circlip, locktite,and maybe even a puller to remove a tie rod end without damaging stuff. If you have not done this job before, there are a few videos you can view to help make sure you don't overlook anything.

Old 02-15-2015, 10:28 PM

Thanks. I'll take that under advisement. Sounds like you're familiar with this job. I have access to the special tools mentioned in the FSM, so I don't think this is going to be too difficult, just time consuming since I'm also replacing the struts and bearings. Still, slow and careful should get the job done nicely.

Old 02-17-2015, 01:22 AM

Sounds good to me, just don't forget to have a front end alignment done when finished.