Windstar/Aerostar The beginning of the minivan for Ford.

1999 Ford Windstar

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 07:16 AM
Exclamation 1999 Ford Windstar

Replaced my alternator and battery a few months ago, and have recently noticed the battery light turning on and off when I drive!!

The reason for changing the alternator, was due to it being bad (not charging battery). However, the battery light on my dash never came on before replacing the alternator.

This morning it was completely dead (would not start), had to have a friend jump start.

Any suggestions on what could be causing this??

Old 10-31-2013, 09:21 AM

Hi Pete!
Welcome to the site.
This is only an opinion mind you, but if the alternator was what we call an aftermarket , that are sometimes OK, and most times come with problems of their own especially for Fords. I would suspect there is a problem with the alternator presently on the vehicle.
Based on past experience you are better off to get an exchange alternator directly from Ford or if there is a starter / alternator rebuild shop that can repair your alternator have them do it for you. Too many times mass rebuilders only replace parts that are defective at the time and up the road now a borderline part quits.
I don't know where you purchased the replacement now on the vehicle, but maybe they can check it's performance for you.

Old 10-31-2013, 04:17 PM
Default Ford

Fords have issues.

Old 12-11-2013, 07:53 PM
Exclamation alternators' keeps dying on me (6 to be exact)!!

Hello again,

I had my alternator rebuilt a few months ago, (after purchasing 5 from the auto store/defect exchanges)... I took the advice from others who know more about cars than I do.

It worked great for awhile, and today it finally went dead.

I charged the battery on a slow charger all day while I was at work, got home shut off the van, and it wouldn't restart after sitting 10 mins in the driveway.

The same problem is happening again!! I'm so frustrated.

Any other suggestions that could be causing this to happen?? If it comes down to it, I'll just get one from the Dealership.