Windstar/Aerostar The beginning of the minivan for Ford.

1999 Windstar PATS Problems, HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 10:57 PM
Default 1999 Windstar PATS Problems, HELP!!

Ok here goes, I bought a 1999 Windstar about a month ago, ran fine, started every time. Was driving down the road and it started to hesitate, like it was going to die. Came to a light, and boom, car died! Will turn over but won't start, the theft light blinks really fast, have checked and not getting fuel or spark. Gives the Theft code 1-6.. Have tried reading all the other forums and tried just about every bit of troubleshooting I could find. I truly don't have the $$ to take it to the local ford dealer and have them troubleshoot the entire thing (as they so eagerly wanted) and the previous owner only had the one key. Some forums mention that the computer may have forgotten the key, but doesn't seem like it to me because it will still turn over. I bought an ignition from another windstar at a junk yard and swapped em, turn the key and the lights just come on, but won't crank. Makes sense because that key shouldn't be allowed to start it anyway....I am at a loss here, is there any way to just completely disable, bypass, override the PATS system??? I have owned Ford vehicles my entire adult life, never had to deal with used ones until my wife lost her job and I took a pay cut, so downgrading the vehicles was the 1st to go. But always stayed Ford and never had any complaints, but now with this experience it truly makes me wish I wasn't so fond of them....If I had any hair I would be pulling it out

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you and God Bless.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:49 PM

the system can be reset not sure how on that but the local ford place may be able to tell you how some vehicles you just unhook the bat. for a while others you turn key to on position let set for about 15 min. see if light stops flashing then turn key off then try to start.

Old 11-06-2011, 12:14 PM

That doesn't sound good at all!! We've had out 1999 Ford Windstar since 2004, runs really good. Never had that problem. But one thing after another is happening now. First the power went out on the drivers side window, then the CD changer doesn't read having a CD in; the power locks are starting to act up; and now the worst of all... the drivers side rear running light won't work. We've changed the fuse, bulb, socket, pony tail and STILL. My inspection is due in 5 days, and I have no clue what we're going to do about it. I've searched online and have found that several people have had this exact same issue, but no one shows WHAT fixes it. :-( So disappointed and frustrated right now. :-(

Old 11-06-2011, 02:57 PM

Don't know if this is the answer, but there is a module called GEM (generic electronic module) that functions as a body control module and it controls the things that are giving you heartburn. It could very well be responsible for some of the problems.