Windstar/Aerostar The beginning of the minivan for Ford.

2000 Windstar Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 03:06 PM
Default 2000 Windstar Check Engine Light

My Windstar is displaying engine codes 0172 (rich or lean fuel bank 1), 0175 (rich or lean fuel bank 2), 0182 (fuel temperature sensor) (I'm not sure it even has a fuel temp sensor) and 0144 (heated O2 sensor bank 3). This began immediately after Ford dealer repair wherein they flushed the fuel rail and replaced the fuel pump. If I can avoid another dealer repair, I'd like to. I'm in the process of cleaning the MAF sensor as a desparate act. Thanks for any help.

Old 11-02-2011, 05:45 PM

Did you take it back to the place that worked on the fuel system? I would be asking to check into this And I also would create a paper trail.

There are 2 basic ways you can get a lean condition: a) it gets to much air, b) it doesn't get enough fuel.

If they made an error that reduces fuel supply you could have these codes. I also think it is possible that the code got set because there may have been a little air in the lines.

So this is what I would do: ask the shop to record the codes, then clear them. Then I would drive to see if the codes come back. Maybe they could also check all electrical connections at the pump.

If the same codes come back you know for sure there is something wrong and you would be back to standard diagnosis, fuel pressure, vacuum leaks etc. If they are a good shop you should have no problem to get this remedied at no or very little additional cost.

Last edited by bluewind; 11-02-2011 at 05:48 PM.
Old 11-04-2011, 03:22 PM

Thank you for the kind input. I really don't want to take it back to the Ford dealership. This last repair they performed gratis, since I'd already spent $1500. At this point I have lost faith in their ability to diagnose the problem, and the trial and error approach of "lets replace this and see if it helps" has resulted in excessive cost for me. I have no doubt that it did not need a new fuel pump.

It's not clear to me whether the codes 0172 and 0175 indicate a rich or lean mixture. I just thought someone on the forum might have had a similar experience with this set of codes. The fact that both the 1 and 2 banks are showing a fuel mixture condition may, as you suggest, indicate a vacuum or air leak. I have reset the check engine light 3 or 4 times to see if this is a temporary condition, and I continue to register the codes after a short period. Thanks again for the input. I'll take your advice and take a good look for air leaks.

Old 11-06-2011, 07:06 PM

Dan, P0172 is a lean condition. I didn't have the P0175 (Google search windstar p 0175). My lean condition was accompanied by loping idle in the warm up phase and bucking at stop signs when in drive. The problem was the isolator bolt grommets at the intake manifold hardened and leaked air. New grommets and a seal kit for the resin intake manifold cost about $50 and it took me one afternoon to fix it.
Read Carsurvey.org, Ford Windstar 2003 "this vehicle is a competent van" with about 17 comments.

If that is your problem you have permission to @!#$@@!#%$^%&*$*& your Ford shop.

Bluewind

Old 11-08-2011, 12:52 PM

Bluewind, I sure appreciate the input. I will take a look at that intake manifold. The loping and bucking symptoms that you describe sound similar.
Dan

Old 11-14-2011, 01:24 PM
Default More on Windstar Lean Condition

If anyone else is having this problem, i.e. registering engine codes P0171 and P0174 indicating a lean fuel condition, here is a Ford TSB 03-16-1 that I ran across indicating a need for a retrofit (SEE LINK BELOW). I did discover a significant amount of oil inside my intake manifold, as suggested by the TSB.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Old 11-14-2011, 02:11 PM

Since my van ran 6 years until producing the codes I decided to only replace the isolator bolt grommets. I have my original LH valve cover with the infamous little hole in the baffle.
The new grommets should last 6 years, longer if they are oil resistant. Will I still have the van? I don't know. It is getting rusty.