Windstar/Aerostar The beginning of the minivan for Ford.

ABS/Brake light comes on intermittantly!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 03:21 PM
Default ABS/Brake light comes on intermittantly!

I have a 2001 Ford Winstar van. The ABS and brake lights come on for a day or so then suddenly you will start it up and it's gone. I have read on this forum where other people have had this problem with Ford Winstar vans. I had the codes read and the the reader came up with a bunch of codes. C1185-ABS power relay output circuit fault; C1198 - ABS valve left iso inlet valve coil circuit fault; C1254 & C1250 -right and left rear iso/inlet valve coil circuit fault; C1246 &C1242 right and left rear dump/outlet valve coil circuit fault; C1214 right front iso/inlet valve coil circuit fault. Left rear wheel sp. sensor input missing; right rear wheel sp. sensor input missing; U1262- uniform SCP data fault for J1850 Buss; U1041 SCP data fault for vehicle speed. The van has always been well maintained but has had numerous recalls on it, one as recently as last month...all recalls have been done. My mechanic (not the dealer) works on various make/models and is a little unsure where to start diagnosing the problem since there were so many codes. Has anyone had a similar experience or can anyone advise? We were wondering if one problem could generate numerous codes. The Van runs fine and the brake fluid level is good. PLEASE SOMEONE GIVE ME SOMETHING!!!

Last edited by JudyM; 09-23-2011 at 06:12 PM. Reason: more info.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:18 PM

Hi dear:
My Windstar has the ABS and Brake lights on almost constantly. The problem is the ABS Controller. It is mounted under the car at the level of the driver's seat. These controllers get very hot and then the printed circuit board cracks. When it cools off it works again for a while. Essentially you are driving around with regular brakes when that light is on.
You can have the controller exchanged but that will cost you $$ somewhere around $1000. I have opted not to replace it.
Go to safercar.gov and make a report. Hopefully a recall comes about, I doubt it though.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:58 AM

Judy, I recently found out that there is a company that fixes bad ABS modules at very affordable cost.
You find them on E-bay Motors. Their name is "Automotive Scientific Inc". Search for Windstar ABS controller or similar. I have not used their services yet, but they get very good ratings at E-bay.

You would need to work with a shop that will keep the van for a few days until the repaired ABS control is returned. So you may want to use one that can give you a loaner vehicle.
I would print out all the information and talk to an independent mechanic, not a Ford dealer or franchise shop.

Good luck!