Windstar/Aerostar The beginning of the minivan for Ford.

coolant in oil 03 3.8 winny

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 09:17 PM
Default coolant in oil 03 3.8 winny

I noticed some foam / oil in the coolant bottle also have to add coolant once a week ,van runs/starts fine and has never run hot .I dont see any external leaks but drained a little oil from the pan and it is milky,about 6 months ago all intake gaskets were replaced because of plug fouling and aluminum intake front and back gaskets were puking oil.Performed a compression test and all cylinders were 200-210 psi.dont have a coolant pressure tester, is there anywhere else coolant can get in the oil.Oh and coolant in bottle does not bubble as in a leaky head gasket.van has 102 thousand on it, thanks for any help

Old 12-27-2012, 12:12 PM

is there anywhere else coolant can get in the oil

I don't think so. Head gasket and lower intake manifold gasket leaks are the only places prone to mix oil and coolant. My best guess: something went wrong when the intake manifold gaskets were replaced. Maybe they did not clean the surfaces right or the manifold was warped/damaged or improperly torqued.

I agree, the head gasket should be fine since the compression data look good. A leak down test could confirm this:

Good luck!

Old 12-27-2012, 02:42 PM

Thanks for the input bluewind thats what i kinda figured ,forgot to mention there is no steam / smoke out of tail pipe.might try to reseal myself this time ,but wife is hounding me for a new car or lease with a warranty and am a little worried about how long the milky oil has been around .I dont want bottom end problems a month or two down the road.so it might be a dump and run for a dealer,its a shame bought the van new, the looks comfort and style are a 11 but mechanical has been a 5 at best always had something wrong from about 70k onward ,performed all maintence and fluid changeouts and still problems.

Old 12-27-2012, 03:10 PM

I've bought our '03 used in '05 with 53000 miles on the clock. I had to replace the intake manifold isolator grommets, IMRC nylon grommets, plugs, wires coil pack, 1 water pump, inner tie rod ends, sway bar links, alternator, battery and 2 blend door actuators. Of course, tires, brakes and struts.
Not working are: VHS player (who cares), interior lights flicker (turned off at the dimmer wheel), ABS controller only works when cold.
I had 2 safety recalls related to rust at the rear axle and the sub frame.

I am at 160K.

You seem to be a practical kind of guy. I would replace the lower intake manifold gaskets, oil and coolant myself.

And I wish my wife would nag me about a new vehicle.

Originally Posted by windstar03
Thanks for the input bluewind thats what i kinda figured ,forgot to mention there is no steam / smoke out of tail pipe.might try to reseal myself this time ,but wife is hounding me for a new car or lease with a warranty and am a little worried about how long the milky oil has been around .I dont want bottom end problems a month or two down the road.so it might be a dump and run for a dealer,its a shame bought the van new, the looks comfort and style are a 11 but mechanical has been a 5 at best always had something wrong from about 70k onward ,performed all maintence and fluid changeouts and still problems.

Old 12-27-2012, 03:33 PM

Well my list is pretty long to but not that long .only thing that stll scares me is the trans ,havent had any problems yet I like to think the fluid changes helped but when they go its expensive .the only engine noise I ever had was after a trip probably when the coolant issue started I had what sounded like a lifter tap on 2 startups but it went away for good.I hate to have any kind of payment but I do get the x plan through ford and the wifes car is the travel car ,She wanted to down size now most the kids are gone plus better mileage.so I dont know.I called ford for just the 4 intake gaskets since all other gaskets plus injector o rings are still new so that cuts down on the cost of buying another complete kit from napa.Dont you love the interior light flicker at knight ? people think Iam having a party in there,and the abs controller with lights is fun.

Old 12-28-2012, 11:24 AM

Flickering lights and ABS is Ford's idea of keeping the driver alert!

Interesting that the ticking noise and coolant problem occurred at the same time. Maybe the head gasket gave way between the cooling system and the push rod tunnel?

I never heard of that, but Murphy might say it's the law. Hanky, Greasemark?

Old 12-28-2012, 12:57 PM

yes it keeps getting stranger actually there was no pressure on the cooling system, cap was loose and still leaked,was able to half butt a cooling system tester by holding it on the tank opening could build about 12 psi before I couldnt hold it any longer did hear what has to be coolant dripping down to pan.the same noise you hear when you add a quart of oil or just after you shut the motor off and oil returns to pan aka drip or drizzle ,seems like that would come from the valley area to pan maybe still worh lower intake gasket replacement first ?

Old 12-28-2012, 04:31 PM

Thanks bluewind, you're doing just fine !

Old 12-29-2012, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by windstar03
yes it keeps getting stranger actually there was no pressure on the cooling system, cap was loose and still leaked,was able to half butt a cooling system tester by holding it on the tank opening could build about 12 psi before I couldnt hold it any longer did hear what has to be coolant dripping down to pan.the same noise you hear when you add a quart of oil or just after you shut the motor off and oil returns to pan aka drip or drizzle ,seems like that would come from the valley area to pan maybe still worh lower intake gasket replacement first ?
Start with the lower intake manifold gasket. the leak should be big enough to be obvious. If the gasket looks good I bet it's the headgasket.

Old 12-29-2012, 01:02 PM

If it mine I'd just replace the engine or rebuild that one. just keep in mind that in either case it all depends on what you would rather do.

Quick Reply: coolant in oil 03 3.8 winny