Windstar/Aerostar The beginning of the minivan for Ford.

Dead car

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2021, 01:53 PM
hev
Default Dead car

I have a 2000 Windstar.

I have a Walmart battery in my car, it has been replaced a 3 times in almost 4 yrs. Bought first one 1/18, replaced it 1/19, then replaced it again, 1/21, and here we are again, almost a year later. They always do it under warranty, so I haven't paid for a new one, the warranty period is 5 yrs, so I guess after 1/23, no more. But at this time I'm thinking I just may need to get a new one. So affordable suggestions on that would be appreciated.
I know it could also be the alternator, but I believe I fixed that in 6/19, and every time we check when the battery dies it's not the issue. The good thing is when the battery is replaced it's good through the rest of the winter.

Now, for the real question, because I always forget. Is it the battery, or starter?

Yesterday when I started the car it did some ticking and a slow whirring, each time I tried it got slower until it was just ticking. Everything in the car works, it just the tickticktick when I try to start it.

My concern about it being the starter is because when I try to research it says starter is one click, OR it's tickticktick, and a battery is no noise.
I believe it is the battery, but when I call AAA I don't want them to come charge it, then it be the starter and then wind up having to tow it, that would be two calls, out of the 3 I have left.

I will say this, all the times I had to have the battery jumped, it continued to work until I was able to replace it.

Old 11-14-2021, 03:27 PM

There may be more than one problem.

Is anybody checking the starting and charging systems?

Not knowing the maintenance history of your vehicle, leaves a lot to possibly be a cause or contributing to the problem.
It is a 2000 model year and the battery cables, for example, have had 20 years to begin internal corrosion. How many miles?
Has starter ever been replaced? Have not seen any problems with Walmart batteries.Again what kind of maintenance has been done?
I'm pretty sure we can offer some suggestions , but ,,,,diagnosing over the internet ,,,,,,, well there are better ways to get to the root of the problem.

For example,, the rear windshield wiper , if stuck for some reason will continue to try to get into the CORRECT park position and until it can, will continue to draw from the battery, causing it to run down.
There are modules that might be malfunctioning and they need to be checked out to make sure they are not part of the problem.

Old 11-14-2021, 03:31 PM
hev

The only thing I know they do is put it on a diagnosing machine, check it if it's holding a charge, and checking the alternator. It doesn't get to the number they expect it to get too.

Old 11-15-2021, 06:45 AM

On older vehicles an alternator output test will tell if the alternator is capable of putting out what it is rated for.
A lot of vehicles today have their output controlled by the vehicle computer. If there happens to be no load to satisfy at the time a test is conducted the alternator may not put out very much, but still be a proper working alternator. Shops need to be aware of this
A thorough check of all connections is always part of a complete check of the charging system..