Windstar/Aerostar The beginning of the minivan for Ford.

Foaming Power Steering Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 06:22 PM
Default Foaming Power Steering Fluid

Well I tore of a return hose on a snow bank and ran the power steering fluid dry.
Had to keep the engine running until the tow truck arrived as it was -20C!!!

Anyway put the hose back on and refilled with fluid.... now the pump is making quite a noise and the fluid will foam up in the resevoir and eventually overflow.

My guess is the pump is fried as it was ran dry for quite some time but just want to get some second opinions before I fork out for a new one. Still not sure why it would cause the fluid to foam up though.

All help appreciated.

regards

Old 01-07-2009, 09:22 PM
Default RE: Foaming Power Steering Fluid

ORIGINAL: shrek4472

Well I tore of a return hose on a snow bank and ran the power steering fluid dry.
Had to keep the engine running until the tow truck arrived as it was -20C!!!

Anyway put the hose back on and refilled with fluid.... now the pump is making quite a noise and the fluid will foam up in the resevoir and eventually overflow.

My guess is the pump is fried as it was ran dry for quite some time but just want to get some second opinions before I fork out for a new one. Still not sure why it would cause the fluid to foam up though.

All help appreciated.

regards

Hello and good day:

You guessed it.....You fried your P/S Pump...Remember your Serpentine belt was running around your pump while you were waiting for the Tow.
Is the sound from the pump like a low grinding??

good luck with this...any further help let us know.

Old 01-07-2009, 09:40 PM

Thanks.
The sound is pretty much the same you get when you are low on PS Fluid.

Will be popping a new one on tommorow.

regards

Old 01-11-2009, 01:59 AM

Foaming is a large amount air entering the fluid being pumped. Also known as aerating.

Old 01-11-2009, 02:00 AM

Oh - and obviously it's bad for the steering system to have aerated fluid.

Old 01-11-2009, 02:11 PM

Well I have the pump changed, went fairly smoothly.

Steering is working fine but still have a whine when the revs are picked up, quite as a mouse at idle even when I turn the wheel.

I bled the system by turning lock to lock about a dozen times or so.

The Parts Shop told me to use Mercon ATF fluid, is this correct?

So should I just run it for a while and assume it will go aways as the pump frees up and the last of the air bleeds out or do I have something more serious here? ID the Mercon fluid correct or not?

regards
Shrek

Old 01-11-2009, 06:59 PM

I would make sure about what type of fluid your power steering needs.

As far as that whining goes? Could be just a new pump making a different sound than you are used to and should quiet down after a while....(or not)

Normally I would look that up for you, but got to get the lab cleaned up for a big wig dog and pony show.

Old 01-24-2009, 12:10 PM

Well this beast is still giving me grief!!!

So I have confirmed it need Mercon with the dealership.

After starting up still had a whine from the power steering pump but figured that would be just some risidual air that would bleed off over time. Anyway did not have chance to gie it a good run apart from a few miles around the block and all appeared o.k. with the excpetion of the whining.

It has sat for 2 weeks in the garage while I have been away.... started it up this morning an straight away it blew off the return hose from the pump!!!

My theory is that it had air in the system which has worked its way out over the last few weeks into the return line, starting it up forced this out and with the cap on the resevoir it had no where to go and put pressure on the return line. Does this sound reasonable to do I have something else going on?

If it is then this time I will give it a complete flush by pulling the return line and puttin it into a jug while making sure the resevoir is topped up.

All ideas appreciated.
regards
Paul

Old 01-24-2009, 06:04 PM

If there is air in the line, you will need to do a flush.....I still don't believe it's that...I think you fried the bearing in the Pump Wheel.

Good luck...I hope its just air.

Old 01-29-2009, 04:01 PM

Well just to close this one out I have been driving it for weel now and the pump is now as quite as a mouse.
I also replaced the clamp on the return line with a bigger one to give that somemore security.
Had to top up the fluid once, I think it just burped out a big air pocket but now all seems great.
Appreciate all the advice.