Windstar/Aerostar The beginning of the minivan for Ford.

Left windows cracked open ... moldy smell.

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 07:38 PM
Default Left windows cracked open ... moldy smell.

Hi everyone,

I had parked my car for a few months, and forgot that I had left the windows cracked open slightly. The last time I went to start up the car, the seats and floor felt damp, probbaly from rain getting in. Now the windows get moisture on the inside and there is a moldy smell in the car. I think I need to take some quick action here. I need three pieces of advice:
- What is the SUREST way get the interior REALLY DRY?
- How do I stop any mold that might be forming?
- How do I prevent the mold from coming back?

I appreciate any advice you can offer.

Thanks!

Old 11-27-2012, 10:00 AM

The surest way is to remove all seats, carpet and insulation to the bare metal. Then clean and dry with a fan.

The mold is already forming. You say you smell it.

Look at this for example:Fighting Mold

It may be easier to replace the moldy parts with better ones from a junk yard. A car upholstery shop may be able to help with new carpet.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:01 AM
Default Mold & mildew correction

Here's what 40 years of experience has taught me:

Any visible signs of mildew you need to shampoo with an ammonia solution (1 part ammonia to 30 parts warm water). Ammonia is corrosive so use gloves, ventillation & don't mix with other cleaners or their vapours. I often use a spray bottle, soft brush, and a wet/dry vacuum to shampoo upholstery (check hidden area 1st to test for colour/dye reaction). Rinse all areas thoroughly with clean water.

Wet carpet should be removed to dry because the layer(s) of underlay & metal floor won't dry covered by carpet. You can replace underlay with any suitable commercially available at a carpet store (its cheap).

Air circulation is the best method for drying without too much risk of fire (upholstery & carpet are VERY flammable & the smoke is highly toxic). Use a fan or 2 rather than a heater.

Minor dampness & related odour can be prevented &/or absorbed by placing stacks of newspaper on each floor mat when storing a vehicle.
Once the vehicle interior is dry, baking soda rubbed into carpet & upholstery allowed to sit an hour or 2 then vacuumed. This can help reduce any minor residual odours.

Some commerically available products such as nilodor, carpet-fresh, and of course dingle-trees hide/mask smells but over time most minor odours disipate on their own.

NEVER let a water leak go. Moisture causes permanent ongoing damage to electrical components, connections, body panels, seat & belt mechanisms which can destroy a vehicle in a few months. The cost to properly repair them can often exceed the vehicle's value. Especially vehicles with electronics (which is most now). This is another reason to avoid storing/parking a vehicle over wet or damp ground (it starts from below).

Old 11-29-2012, 03:20 PM
Default Left windows cracked open ... moldy smell.

Great advice. Thank you! I could not find a small electric dehumidifier immediately available. Only the large ones that wont even fit inside the car. I have had the car idling in the driveway with the heater on full heat and full fan for about 4 or 5 hours each of the last two days. I left the windows cracked open just slightly to allow the moisture to escape. The seats and carpet feel dry now and the moldy smell is much less noticeable. Doing the same today with a packet of dehumidifier material in there, but with the windows now shut tight.

Still, to be sure, and just to make sure there are no other sources for the water, I am going to have to make the time this weekend to remove the seats and pull the carpet. then let the car sit in the rain for a few days.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:57 AM

There is a dehumidifier built right into your car: the air conditioning. Putting the air conditioner on "MAX" and turning the temperature to high runs the heater and air conditioner at the same time. Put the fan on high and keep the window closed. Those are the best drying conditions.