Fairlane/Falcon/Galaxie/Gran Torino There 1960s classics have not been forgetten, whether it is on the dragstrip or at any car show, they are still all well represented.

is a 65 or 66 galaxie 500 better then a 52 customline?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by bluewind
id like to do a willwood 4 13" 6 piston front and 2 piston rear disk brake setup.

.....for those track days and autocross?
my theory is thee better brakes you have the safe you are. besides driving a tank of a car lol. but i think brakes are worthy upgrades specially when i live in a state with high ins and acedent rating.

Old 02-17-2014, 10:04 PM

If you got the moolah, go for it. It's time for you to get serious. Make phone calls.

Old 02-18-2014, 04:49 AM

If you got the moolah, go for it. It's time for you to get serious. Make phone calls.
i been calling some places an emailing others. like i emailed air lift to see if they have something to help hold up my power wheelchair on class ii hitch mount. i also called some local repair shops about paint, brakes, an a/c. it has factory a/c in both convertibles. i know in the 72 ltd both heat n air don't work, but not sure on the 65 galaxie. i know a/c is a interesting consideration but i have a sensitivity over heat. if i get to hot i can get extremely sick and end up in a hospital. the convertible part will help a lot but in 90+ ill probably need a/c. as for brakes the 72 ltd has front disk/rear drum and 65 galaxie has drums all around. the repair shops cant give me a idea to install brakes or a/c without seeing the car. and to paint the cars maaco said to fix the rust and paint the 72 ltd would be $1500. and it would cost 1300 to do galaxie + under the hood. see galaxie in primer but hood is replacement from a white car. this is all using maaco's best paint system too. if i went to single stage urethane paint the cost would be cut by 1/3 of the cost. but im thinking it would look better with a base clear.

anyways u can see i been doing a lot research. one reason for all the research is because i live on disability and there are some weird rules. like i cant have over 2 k in the bank longer then 10 bigness days. and i have to show recites proving i spent it or lose my disability. they don't count owning a car as a luxury because i need one to get to my 2-3 dr appointments a week. but if i owned 2 cars or spent on computer or tv then im having luxury and risk losing my disability. so that's why im looking at a classic i can make a nice car.

thanks in advance, alice
p.s. im ataching pics of galaxie and ltd im looking at.

Old 02-18-2014, 04:24 PM

Nice to see some of our tax dollars go somewhere worthwhile!!

Buy the car you like, then use the project to clear your account as you go.

Last edited by bluewind; 02-18-2014 at 04:33 PM.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:38 AM

got a closer look at the galaxie today and some stuff worry's me. like the front end bounces and steering wheel shimmy. if was just steering wheel id say alignment or wheel balance but with front end bouncing im worried its been wrecked n screwed up the geometry. also apparently the car doesn't have seat belts. and there is damage in upper rear corner so would need a hole new pass rear quarter panel. as much as i like the car i got to think is it to big of a project for me.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:16 AM

The bouncing and shimmy point to wear in the front suspension and steering, not a bent frame. That is not proof positive that the frame is straight though.

Low speed shimmy is almost always caused by bad tires. High speed shimmy is another can of worms.
The bouncing is primarily a problem of the worn out shock absorbers. They should be inexpensive.
Wear on the steering is tested buy checking for play. You may move the steering wheel up to 3/4" without the wheels turning. You check that while reaching into the car to turn the wheel while observing the tire.
Also while parked yank the wheel left -right and listen for pops and clacks. That would indicate worn joints in the steering. Things like that don't necessarily rule out the car but they are negotiation points.
So is the rear quarter panel.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:12 AM

The bouncing and shimmy point to wear in the front suspension and steering, not a bent frame. That is not proof positive that the frame is straight though.

Low speed shimmy is almost always caused by bad tires. High speed shimmy is another can of worms.
The bouncing is primarily a problem of the worn out shock absorbers. They should be inexpensive.
Wear on the steering is tested buy checking for play. You may move the steering wheel up to 3/4" without the wheels turning. You check that while reaching into the car to turn the wheel while observing the tire.
Also while parked yank the wheel left -right and listen for pops and clacks. That would indicate worn joints in the steering. Things like that don't necessarily rule out the car but they are negotiation points.
So is the rear quarter panel.
well shimmy was constant between 15-50 mph bounce was more noticeable over 45 mph. no cracks or pops in the siting n turning of wheel. brakes work extremely well to my surprise with no pulling to ether side on all around drums.
has new top motors i now but top is wore bad. like driver rear corner of top roof area has frame showing about 1/4" and window seals are shot. i was wanting a new top with a glass rear window anyways. i figure with 1/4 panel and worn top material maybe i can try n talk them down $500 to $6,500 if im lucky but id still see about taking it to menike to inspect for $50 just to see its ok.

think my idea is reasonable or would the 72 ltd with tilt column new top n boot, in red paint and slight rust in lower rear quarter behind wheel under trim be better deal for $5,800?

ltd has a blower that is noisy and no heat or air working. galaxie just needs ac charged with r134a

thanks in advance, Alice the classic convertible dreamer

Old 02-20-2014, 02:33 PM

Alice, I am biased here. I like the Galaxie better than the LTD. That LTD looks bloated, the Galaxie looks classic with the vertical double headlights and crisp lines from front to back. The LTD's Knudson nose aka Bunkie's Beak makes me sneeze! But that's me.

I am thinking of it this way: my budget requires me to spend money so the money keeps coming. I would not care how long it will take me to get the Galaxie right. I would buy it, get tires and shocks and all fluids so I can drive it. Next project would be the hitch for the wheel chair and ride height adjustment. Next step: new top cloth. Next step: rear quarter panel. Next step: paint.

If you like the LTD better, do it the same way with it. They will cost you money one way or the other. So make sure you spend it on the car you like.

Meineke is probably all right for the inspection, but I'd be looking for an independent shop to do the work. With Meineke, Firestone, Tuffy and all the other chains you pay corporate franchise fees. I bet there is a "Ron's" or "Jim's Automotive" in your town. Find out who is good and reasonable.

Last edited by bluewind; 02-20-2014 at 02:38 PM.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:20 PM

i like the look of the galaxie better as well. the 65-66 are my fav years. but sadly i got a call from dealer asking if i wanted to make a deposit because he has someone interested. but what i could afford wasn't good enough to hold it till the settlement comes in. so it may not bee there when i get my settlement. the ltd is my backup plan. galaxie had the 352 big block too. but ltd's 400 small block is a nice runner up.

im just hoping galaxy will still be there

Alice

Last edited by GamerGirlAlice; 02-20-2014 at 08:39 PM.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:08 PM

If the engine in the LTD is the small block it's not the original engine. most of those cars had the 351 cleveland meaning it was a big block and looked like the 400's but either case those cars had the big block engines. They had to have enough power to push all the weight down the highway. one thing to remember is that was the last part of the muscle car era. and the small blocks didn't have the power the big blocks had. as far as the Galaxie that was the beginning of the muscle car era and there wasn't any rules which means that they could have any engine they wanted in it both the galaxies and the fairlanes were twins one just had more chrome on it.

Quick Reply: is a 65 or 66 galaxie 500 better then a 52 customline?