Ford Crown Victoria The crown victoria, the choice of police forces all over the United States due to its size and available V8 engine

1989 Crn Vic - Cranks Over But No Start

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2020, 03:35 PM
Default 1989 Crn Vic - Cranks Over But No Start

1989 Ford Crown Victoria LX,302.

Engine has been running fine since vacuum problem of a year or so ago that affected the AC/Heater selection panel (Broken line). Drove home from Wal*Mart on approximately 10/07/20 ... parked in driveway under carport. Really should have gassed vehicle as "Low Fuel Light" was on and fuel gauge was laying almost on empty.

Was using my F150 since then until 11/16/20 when I attempted to use this Crown Victoria to find that the starter cranked the engine over fine but it would not fire and start running. (Ignition Okay).

Trouble shot the Pump and EEC relay They checked out okay but they were pretty old so I replaced them on general principles.

Turning the key to ON gives me the normal 1 second of 12v to the Inertia Switch, and that 12v flows thru thru the Inertia Switch. Grounding out the Fuel Pump Terminal of the DLC gives me a steady 12v to and thru the Inertia Switch... BUT...I cannot hear the In Tank Fuel Pump running!

Even with a rubber fuel hose such as used on outboard engines (3/16" ID) inserted into the fuel tank (not into the fuel), I cannot hear a running pump.

I assume that being that the pump is 31 years old, my leaving the tank almost empty for a month+, I could have caused the pump to jam? At any rate, am I correct that I'm faced with replacing the pump... and do I need to remove the fuel tank to do so?

Old 11-21-2020, 07:03 AM

Hi Joe,
It sure sounds like the pump bit the dust.
It is always wiser to replace the complete fuel pump module with sending unit attached.
As we always say, do it right and do it once. The tank has to be removed to remove the pump module. Just make sure everything is clean before removing the assy so no garbage gets into the tank. Once the assy is removed you will be able to see if there is any "stuff" that needs to be removed to insure good pump performance and long life.
A new assy should come with a new "O" ring for when installing the replacement module. The old ring will have swelled and is not usually reusable. Don't forget to replace the fuel filter at this time.
A SAFETY NOTE,,,,,,,,,,,DO NOT AT ANY TIME USE AN ELECTRICAL DROP LIGHT WHEN DOING THIS JOB BECAUSE GASOLINE WILL LEAK FROM LINES AND COULD LAND ON A HOT DROP LIGHT BULB.

Old 11-21-2020, 09:33 AM

Good to hear from you again Hanky. I appreciate your reply, thank you very much. You may remember me replacing the tanks/pumps, etc on my 88 150 a few years back... really not looking forward to this again but what is.... is! I've come across a few mentions on the Internet that stated the fuel pump on the 89 Crown Victoria was on the side of the tank and accessible, however my luck doesn't run like that. But just for the heck of it, I'll look on both sides before crawling under it. Thanks again.