Ford Crown Victoria The crown victoria, the choice of police forces all over the United States due to its size and available V8 engine

2002 P71 - Transmission Issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2024, 12:15 PM

Do you think you can handle pinpoint C with a helper? You just need someone to shift inside the car while you are looking at the the lever shift control cable movement. If you decide to DIY I will provide further diagrams and instructions. Tools that you need, a jaw locking plier (the big one on the right), 15mm socket with ratchet and 15mm and 9mm wrench (not sure about the size), and a flat head. If you have 1/4 and 3/8 torque wrench that'd be helpful as well.

Old 04-01-2024, 12:26 PM

I do all my own mechanic work except for big jobs like engine or tranny swaps. I have all the tools you mentioned. I'd DIY to see what I can determine if I had diagrams, pictures, manual, etc. to show me what I am looking for.

Old 04-01-2024, 01:26 PM

Routine 201 + 301 Below. Let me know if you need to see another routine.

If you need to remove the DTR, you DON'T need to use the TRS alignment tool.
As you can see about the Pinpoint C and the 201-301 routines, all about the shift cable and the DTR. If those are fine, then you could have internal tranny problems.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
DTR_Removal.pdf (101.4 KB, 6 views)
Electrical.pdf (159.2 KB, 4 views)
Pinpoint_C.pdf (286.2 KB, 6 views)
Connector_Layout.pdf (137.2 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by heiko; 04-01-2024 at 01:36 PM.
Old 04-01-2024, 01:34 PM

From your description , it sounds like the forward clutch is gone.. If there was a pressure problem that contributed to this, there is a modified pump to overcome that problem.

A remanufactured trans, would have the latest updates in it. Most suppliers of remanufactured trans will not warranty their trans unless the cooler is replaced.

Might want to touch base on that before starting the job.

Old 04-03-2024, 05:20 PM

Thank You to all of you for your input/advice!

I have another wrench to throw in this mess!

My son was scared to tell me the whole story, but came clean today!

The day his tranny went out, he did some mods to include a ECM tune. Here is the story:

Basically, he installed a BBK 78MM throttle body and at the same time installed a Mary Tune. I kinda know what a tune is, but not an expert. My son said this tune also changed his shift points in the tranny. As soon as he did all of this, he took his car on a test drive and...You guessed it! He said he drove about one mile and felt it shift different. He turned down a side street and came to a stop. He tried to do a U-Turn and there was no more forward gears. He then put it in reverse and backed down the street back to the main road. At this point, he called me to get his car towed home.

This info. would have been nice to know a week ago!!!

Does anyone have any knowledge about tunes?
Is it possible (It sure is strangely coincidental) that this tune is the result of his issues?
Is it possible to retune the ECM back to where it was prior?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Old 04-06-2024, 01:51 PM

Most times if any "Add on is disconnected/removed", the system will usually revert back to original.

Were there any instructions for doing that , which may have come with the kit ?