Ford Crown Victoria The crown victoria, the choice of police forces all over the United States due to its size and available V8 engine

Suspension Troubles

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 08:32 PM
Exclamation Suspension Troubles

Im not too sure how to address the following issues with my newly acquired P71 Crown Vic … the car rolls a lot from side to side and the cornering seems wide and sloppy the whole thing feels wrong im not sure where to start im thinking -- Tie Rods -- Ball joints -- Sway bar -- Anti sway bar -- New HD Gas Shocks I think ill re-use the springs --- I guess my question is as follows
Is their something that is a common failure that would cause this to occur the whole things like a cork on the ocean bobbing up and down rolling side to side
I have more to fix on the car its an 01 engine are good and strong as hell needs lots of small things after I get this thing tightened back up I’ll be posting my progress here thanks for the help in advance … this should be a good project

Old 03-03-2014, 01:07 PM

My first guess would be, are the correct shocks being used? And was this car ever in a wreck? Many things coupled together can lead to your problem. Wrong rated tires,weak springs,mis-alignment, worn steering components,etc.

Old 03-04-2014, 12:44 AM

Being a P71, I'm sure it's seen better days on the road. I personally would replace the coils and shocks on all 4 corners. Then proceed to replace the sway bars, links and bushings. This should tighten up the suspension and response. Then I would go over the tie-rods, steering linkage, and steering box to make sure they are all tight. Then make sure that the tires are at least the correct size if no slightly larger for a better foot print along with proper air pressure. I personally run a larger tire with slightly more air pressure on my 04' Freestar which helps it handle/corner and ride better than the stock tires.