Ford Crown Victoria The crown victoria, the choice of police forces all over the United States due to its size and available V8 engine

Suspension Troubles

Old 03-01-2014, 08:32 PM
Exclamation Suspension Troubles

Im not too sure how to address the following issues with my newly acquired P71 Crown Vic … the car rolls a lot from side to side and the cornering seems wide and sloppy the whole thing feels wrong im not sure where to start im thinking -- Tie Rods -- Ball joints -- Sway bar -- Anti sway bar -- New HD Gas Shocks I think ill re-use the springs --- I guess my question is as follows
Is their something that is a common failure that would cause this to occur the whole things like a cork on the ocean bobbing up and down rolling side to side
I have more to fix on the car its an 01 engine are good and strong as hell needs lots of small things after I get this thing tightened back up I’ll be posting my progress here thanks for the help in advance … this should be a good project

Old 03-03-2014, 01:07 PM

My first guess would be, are the correct shocks being used? And was this car ever in a wreck? Many things coupled together can lead to your problem. Wrong rated tires,weak springs,mis-alignment, worn steering components,etc.

Old 03-04-2014, 12:44 AM

Being a P71, I'm sure it's seen better days on the road. I personally would replace the coils and shocks on all 4 corners. Then proceed to replace the sway bars, links and bushings. This should tighten up the suspension and response. Then I would go over the tie-rods, steering linkage, and steering box to make sure they are all tight. Then make sure that the tires are at least the correct size if no slightly larger for a better foot print along with proper air pressure. I personally run a larger tire with slightly more air pressure on my 04' Freestar which helps it handle/corner and ride better than the stock tires.