Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

Gas tank replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2019, 07:45 PM
Default Gas tank replacement

Just purchased an 87 E350 and this is my first excursion into the world of car repair and restoration. So this there econoline has been sitting for 9 years so first things first, siphoning the gas tank and dropping it. I havent dropped it yet but i Used a borescope to look on in and have come to the conclusion that it might be pretty rusted.

My question to you good ol' group of people is how rusty is too rusty. I've seen about five youtube videos about how to use acid and not use acid to clean the rust off of the inside of the gas tank. But dependent on the rust, I'm curious when should I just replace the gas tank, clean the gas tank, or if it's not overly rusty, just try to get it running with the gas tank as is. Let me know if yall have any other questions and I will definitely answer them!

Old 03-07-2019, 04:55 AM

Not being able to actually see the condition brings up this little concern.
Every time you start the vehicle and it has some kind of problem, the picture of the inside of that gas tank will always be the first thought to come to mind. A lot depends on how understanding you will be and whether or not the tank might be causing the problem. If this won't bother you , pick a decision and play it by ear. OR you could just replace the tank and forget about it What do you think ?

Old 03-11-2019, 11:20 AM

Thanks for the response hanky. I will drop the tank sometime this week and reply with some more pictures. But I think I have decided to just wash it out as good as I can with water and get all the big particulates out and then reinstall it just until I can get it to run and maybe replace the tank after.

Old 03-17-2019, 02:23 PM

Hey E350 Texan,
Whatever you decide to do is OK !
But, I have to repeat an old comment that mechanics and techs hear a lot.
"Just fix it for now , I am planning on getting rid of it in anyway." Two years later the guy shows up and says , I think we have a problem with the gas tank can you fix it or make it last !! lol

Old 05-07-2019, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
Hey E350 Texan,
"Just fix it for now , I am planning on getting rid of it in anyway." Two years later the guy shows up and says , I think we have a problem with the gas tank can you fix it or make it last !! lol
Just an update! Currently doing electrolysis on the tank and it's kind of a slow process but is seeming to work. But I might just replace it anyways. Thanks for your help!

Old 07-24-2019, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
Hey E350 Texan,
Further update Hanky, electrolysis was going too slow and not clearing out the rust like I think it should have been so I wound up getting a new gas tank. Thanks for your help and advice!

Old 07-24-2019, 01:28 PM

I think you made a wise decision. Now you can have peace of mind and concentrate on the other concerns that might come up..