Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

Van Starting issue...sparking batt. terminal

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 03:06 PM
Default Van Starting issue...sparking batt. terminal

I have a 1991 Econoline Van, E350 460 engine. My battery was dead(I hadn’t driven it for awhile) so I went to jump it. Accidently, I left the key in the “on” position while I hooked up the jumper cables to my 1997 Econoline Diesel van and the 1991 van. I went to turn the 1991 van over(discovered the key position, turned to off first) and nothing happened.(Usually it would either start right up or at least try to turn over a little). I turned the key to off, then tried to reposition the jumper cables on the battery. As I did this(key in “off” position), the engine would try to turn over a little(as I touched the pos. jumper cable to the 1991 battery). After a few attempts with the same results, I decided to trickle charge the battery and start the van that way.

Once charged, after connecting negative van cable to battery, when attempting to connect positive van cable to battery, the + cable starts to spark (not a big spark or pop like when you put a jumper cable on the wrong terminal)and the battery terminal starts to melt on the edges. I’ve never had this happen before.
Does anybody out there know what might be happening?

I’d sure appreciate your help re this matter. Thank you so much for your help in advance.

(P.S. Some background info re my van’s ignition switch. A few years ago an attempt was made to steal my van. The ignition switch was messed with(I forget now what exactly happened). What I remember now is that(at least once) when I would reconnect(after charging) the battery, it would try to turn over(like what was happening above when trying to jump it). I believe I jiggled the ignition switch and eventually I could reconnect the battery and start the van up normally. But NOW, when attempting to reconnect the van cables to the battery, the + cable starts to spark and the terminal melts on the edges as ment. above. Before, when problematic(at least once), it would just try to turn over.)

Old 04-18-2012, 08:20 PM

There is a good possibility the starter is still engaged. Here are some things you can do to check/eliminate some possibilities.
With the battery cables disconnected,try to move the crank pulley either with the belt or turning the alternator pulley. If the starter is jammed in the engaged position that should help to release it. By the way, THE POSITIVE CABLE SHOULD ALWAYS BE INSTALLED FIRST, then the negative cable. Simple reason if you have the neg cable installed first, and you touch any sheet metal with the wrench while tightening the pos cable , your life lites up a little. Tightening the neg cable last eliminates this problem
The next thig I would do is to remove the cable that goes from the solenoid on the firewall to the starter. Now when you connect the battery if you get any large spark or hear that solenoid clicking there may be a problem with the ign switch assy on the steering col under the dash.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:27 PM

Thanks hanky, I'm going to go out pretty quick and check this. thanks a lot.

Old 02-25-2019, 04:47 PM
Default Same problem

I have a 77 f150 that’s doing the same thing. Did you ever find out the problem. Thanks

Old 02-25-2019, 05:54 PM

This goes back a bit and if I recall correctly there should be a starter relay on one of the fender wells, either driver's side or passenger side.
On that relay should be a cable coming from the positive post of the battery. Then there should be at least one small gauge wire that comes from the ign sw start position.
If there is another small terminal it should be for a ground although some used the relay mounting for the ground path. . Then the other heavy cable from the other side of the relay should go on down to the post on the starter.
If,,,,,,,,,,, you remove the one small wire that comes from the start position of the ign sw now reconnect the negative cable on to the negative post. If you get any kind of response, replace the defective relay. If you connect the neg cable and get nothing ,then touch the small wire to the small terminal of the relay. You should get nothing. If it attempts to start replace the ign switch. I hope I presented this procedure clear enough. If any questions let us know, thanks.