Ford Edge This new crossover combines the economy of a compact car with the interior size and capabilities of an SUV.

2007 ford edge issue i cannot seem to figure out

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 04:01 PM
Default 2007 ford edge issue i cannot seem to figure out

I have a 2007 ford edge SEL AWD. Recently had 3 coils replaced and all new spark plugs changed at a local auto shop. I also had a speed sensor replaced at a mr transmission at which time they had to replace the tranny fluid. Since i have had the car back it runs like crap! It has a rough idle when first started, transmission has a hard time switching gears sometimes not all the time and sometimes clunks in to gear especially up hill if i hit the gas. It feels as if the engine is working extremely overtime when going up hill also. I also can hear a whining or whistle noise coming from the front end when the car is in park. I'm unsure if the whistle/whining is there when the car is moving. The whistle whining seems to be coming from the side where the transmission is. I have had it into a ford dealer twice and obviously they can not find anything wrong with it like they always say! I took it to another shop they told me they did a smoke test for vacuum leak but im not so sure they really did! Anybody have any ideas or suggestions or had this same time of situation occur? any help would be much appreciated because ive parked the car and wont use it until i find out what the heck is going on.

no check engine light
no trouble codes
it has the most up to date computer upgrade
fluid levels are all okay
it has 160,000 km on it

Last edited by Jon Nisbett; 10-21-2013 at 04:13 PM.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:01 PM

My first thought is why were the plugs and coils replaced and what brand did they use.
Most Fords have a funny way of disliking everything other than Motorcraft spark plugs.
Many aftermarket parts are imported and of inferior quality and because they are new means nothing. One explanation for new happens to be "never ever worked".
I'm not saying that is the problem with your vehicle, but OEM (original equip manuf) parts usually work best.
Was this problem present before all the work was done?

Old 10-22-2013, 04:49 AM

They were not OEM plugs that were replaced. Someone else told me it may be the plugs as well. That doesn't explain the whistle/whinning though. Could it be that when they took the cover off they should have replaced the seal? Could it be two issues? Bad plugs and it needs a seal? Thanks for the reply!

Old 10-22-2013, 01:45 PM

It is possible that the air filter assy was not completely installed. Many times it looks OK, but is not assembled correctly. Wouldn't hurt to give it a good look through.
It can affect performance, and the whistle may be the incoming air through an opening that shouldn't be there.