Ford Edge This new crossover combines the economy of a compact car with the interior size and capabilities of an SUV.

Sunroof side Shields -

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 08:53 PM
Default Side shields

While this is an old thread, I thought I would respond as to how I fixed my 09 MKX. Perhaps it may be of help to someone else.

I had noticed that one of my accordion side pieces was off and squished down when the BAMR was closed. (Have no idea as to how long it had been this way, probably months. First noticed it couple of years ago). So I worked it back on, but it continued to slip off about every third time I opened the roof.

After studying it for a couple of weeks, I came to the conclusion that it was come off, been pinched and distorted out of shape when the roof was closed, and REFORMED in shape due to the hot summer sun. (That is, the heat of the sun changed the shape of the rubber shield to the squished shape from heat).

The fix I found, was to reinstall the rubber shield, carefully close the BAMR so that it remained attached to the rail and KEEP THE ROOF CLOSED, in the hot summer sun for a week, so the rubber would again soften and again reform to the correct shape. I assume it require several heating/cooling cycles to change its shape back.

Admittedly, it never completely returned to the '"as new"' shape, but it's still close enough so that it no longer comes off.

Old 07-10-2018, 05:35 PM
Default Side shields ruined

So this same thing happened to my 2014 Edge and they actually got smashed and torn. My teenage daughter was driving it and wasn’t paying attention and didn’t notice til it was too late. What are they actually for? Is just to help with wind noise? Don’t want to pay 100+ apiece for something I don’t really need. It rained the next day and I had zero leaks

Old 10-18-2018, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by Donnajo318
So this same thing happened to my 2014 Edge and they actually got smashed and torn. My teenage daughter was driving it and wasn’t paying attention and didn’t notice til it was too late. What are they actually for? Is just to help with wind noise? Don’t want to pay 100+ apiece for something I don’t really need. It rained the next day and I had zero leaks
Hello, last month I had the same problem, the left side shield got smashed in my Ford Edge 2014. The dealership does not sell me the accordion type rubber, it sells me the whole roof, is it a joke? Tell me finally if you had a problem with water filtration when you washed the vehicle or it rain? Is it just for the wind? You help me, thank you. If you could share information with me, please.

Old 12-19-2018, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by jalfaroc45
Hello, last month I had the same problem, the left side shield got smashed in my Ford Edge 2014. The dealership does not sell me the accordion type rubber, it sells me the whole roof, is it a joke? Tell me finally if you had a problem with water filtration when you washed the vehicle or it rain? Is it just for the wind? You help me, thank you. If you could share information with me, please.
Hi jalfaroc45, I think that I found the "accordion" pieces (I have a 2014 Ford Edge): Ford Part #'s 78500A66 (Shield - RH Side) and 78500A67 (Shield - LH Side)

They're not cheap though at $124 each (on parts.ford.com).

Old 08-16-2019, 03:52 PM
Default 2018 Escape - Same problem.

One of the accordion shields on my 2018 Escape will not stay in place. Happened the first week I had the car. Has happened and been back to the dealer and the body shop four times. Now I just snap it back in place every couple of weeks. Pain in the butt. From the posts here it looks like it's been a problem for years with no fix from Ford.

Old 09-05-2022, 11:21 AM
Default I know this is an aged post, but…

*I ran across this thread, while searching for shield installation how-to videos/instructions*

I am having issues w/my sunroof - I cannot even use it now, without it getting stuck! After a lot of uncomfortable and neck-breaking study of the actual mechanism - I believe my issue is the shields too!!
(My husband just used brute force several times, to ram it closed - and now it’s all effed up!! 🤬 Seriously works my nerves - because he’d NEVER do that type of thing to the Harley or Tundra…)
But I digress!!

Anyway, I was able to find the Shields for my 2019 FF Titanium Hybrid at around $22.But after reading through this thread today, I am worried I do not have the correct part, because why are mine only $21.50?!(Link above and pic attached)

I apologize in advance, for any ignorance I have showing.

I appreciate any feedback…
Thanks a Bunch Y’all 😉

Last edited by Carey-C137; 09-05-2022 at 11:23 AM.