Sunroof side Shields - - Page 2 - Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners

Ford Edge This new crossover combines the economy of a compact car with the interior size and capabilities of an SUV.

Old 02-10-2018, 08:53 PM

Default Side shields

While this is an old thread, I thought I would respond as to how I fixed my 09 MKX. Perhaps it may be of help to someone else.

I had noticed that one of my accordion side pieces was off and squished down when the BAMR was closed. (Have no idea as to how long it had been this way, probably months. First noticed it couple of years ago). So I worked it back on, but it continued to slip off about every third time I opened the roof.

After studying it for a couple of weeks, I came to the conclusion that it was come off, been pinched and distorted out of shape when the roof was closed, and REFORMED in shape due to the hot summer sun. (That is, the heat of the sun changed the shape of the rubber shield to the squished shape from heat).

The fix I found, was to reinstall the rubber shield, carefully close the BAMR so that it remained attached to the rail and KEEP THE ROOF CLOSED, in the hot summer sun for a week, so the rubber would again soften and again reform to the correct shape. I assume it require several heating/cooling cycles to change its shape back.

Admittedly, it never completely returned to the '"as new"' shape, but it's still close enough so that it no longer comes off.
Old 07-10-2018, 05:35 PM

Default Side shields ruined

So this same thing happened to my 2014 Edge and they actually got smashed and torn. My teenage daughter was driving it and wasnít paying attention and didnít notice til it was too late. What are they actually for? Is just to help with wind noise? Donít want to pay 100+ apiece for something I donít really need. It rained the next day and I had zero leaks